cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2 the most expensive mobile service provider around?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 since BT cellnet, but over the last couple of years, I have gradually noticed that all other networks have much better deals around.

Could someone tell me what is so special about O2 that allows them to charge higher than other providers? Do they have better signal? Coverage? Customer service?

I am currently on the simplicity, with 5 months left on my contract, but able to upgrade for free any time, I have chosen to buy and iPhone 5 from apple instead, with the intention of trying out a few other networks when my 5 months run out.

I am not talking about 3rd party deal sites, simply searching on other major providers main site nets plans that are cheaper, gives more data, text, etc. If we use SIMS only plan as a way to measure the price of contracts, O2 is literally THE most expensive of the major mobile networks in the UK.

Could someone tell me, why they think O2 deserves to charge more? Because vaule wise, I do not see any point in staying with O2 any longer (not even a loyalty bouns). 

Before any O2 die hards start yelling "leave, more network for me" or "plenty of customers to replace you", please understand the reason I am posting this is because I still care, otherwise I would simply vote with my wallet, I am fairly sure there are plenty of network capacity left in O2, that the fact there is someone waiting to replace my "spot" appears an outlandish argument.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144452 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
For me, it's coverage. O2 is the only network that I can get a signal on at home.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 37

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Same for me really, coverage around the outlying areas and reliability.

I also get a fiver off my broadband, again very reliable, excellent customer services on the few occasions I've needed them.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply guys.

Signal wise, isn't there currently another provider that piggy backs on O2's network? Surely coverage wise that has to be the same as O2?

Also not sure if I could mention competitor names here, but didn't 2 big mobile network providers merge in the last 2 years, surely after merging, the network coverage could rival that of O2?

Does O2 offer fiberopic, or broadband that goes faster than ADSL at unlimited rates? If they do that may be something I be interested in.

Message 4 of 37

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Tesco and GiffGaff use O2, and O2 are in a joint venture now to share masts with Vodafone so coverage should be similar between them.

Orange and T-Mobile have merged and are forming EE, which is making 4G available but O2 are upgrading their network to DC-HSDPA which should run at similar speeds.

O2 don't offer fibre broadband and there's no news about when that will happen.

O2 Broadband is Adsl2+ which is advertised at up to 20Mbps, but will run up to 24Mbps if your line is short enough, and the Works package is unlimited.

I hope that helps.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only reason, and i mean ONLY, I'm staying with O2, is they allow tethering at no extra charge. 

For me, this means I can use my wi-fi iPad via my phones connection when I'm out seeing customers. 

I was about to jump ship to T-mobile, I had my PAC code and had put a deposit down to hold an iPhone 5, when I found out they don't allow it! Good job I found out in time! 

Message 6 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
So T Mobile offer unlimited data, but don't allow tethering? I'm from East Kent, and rarely get 3G here. 2G is all I ever see on my phone - but I live in hope that one day O2 will bring 3G to my part of the country (other networks already have).
Message 7 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144452 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply guys.

Signal wise, isn't there currently another provider that piggy backs on O2's network? Surely coverage wise that has to be the same as O2?

Also not sure if I could mention competitor names here, but didn't 2 big mobile network providers merge in the last 2 years, surely after merging, the network coverage could rival that of O2?

Yes, Giffgaff & Tesco both in use by other family members, it all depends on your needs as to which suits you best.

I can't get a signal from Orange or T Mob so combining their networks means I get twice the amount of no signal wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me it's signal and customer service.

I've had to speak to customer service a few times over the last 2 weeks (and twice today actually on behalf of a family member) for a variety of different reasons and every single time the advisor has been excellent, the right information given every time and happy to help.

I admit, I do prefer to pay a little extra if it means the help is there if I need it.
Message 9 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
With O2 you are saving more money over the duration of your 24month contact if you take advantage of all they have to offer.

O2 Priority for exaple;
Monday £1 lunches at boots or WH Smith,
Free gifts,
Money off,
High street store savings,
Restaurant savings.
If you apply O2 priority to your day to day lives as much as possible you can save an average of £700 within your contract.

Priority tickets;
If you like sporting events or concerts and there is one coming to any of their O2 academy's O2 Arenas or at Twickenham you can have access to tickets upto 48 hous before they go on general sale.

More apps and information is available at www.O2.co.uk.

I am an O2 customer and I am extremely happy with their services.
Message 10 of 37