cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps to take when phone is stolen abroad?

biscuits99
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I'm just trying to plan ahead in case I ever get my iPhone stolen (I'm on a monthly SIM only contract).

Let say it is stolen when I'm abroad, I'm fairly sure I could use another device to lock and wipe it without much problem.

But to get back up and running, could I just go into a shop and buy a new iPhone, and a blank SIM?

If so, can I then call O2 in the UK to somehow get my number ported to that new blank foreign sim?

I'm assuming I couldn't do that online, and would need to call O2?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@biscuits99 

Process here Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

You won't get your O2 number on anything but an O2-UK sim.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@biscuits99 

Process here Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

You won't get your O2 number on anything but an O2-UK sim.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions
Message 3 of 7

biscuits99
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, this is enabled. So I'm not too worried about dealing with the theft, more how to get up and running again.

Message 4 of 7

biscuits99
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks. Does this mean I wont be able to get up and running at all until I got back to the UK?

What about if I took a £10 O2 PAYG SIM with me on holiday, could they convert that remotely to use my number?

I could have sworn years ago O2 had a webpage where you could type in a reference number on a SIM card and it applied your number to the card - I may well be mis-remembering though.

Message 5 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6607 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Don't think that can happen as if you move from PAYG to Contract in the UK it will be a new SIM card, much less chance when abroad

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@biscuits99 

There’s a chance if you’re on 360 that you could activate an eSIM through your myo2. 
This will only work if you’re on 360 and you buy an esim compatible phone. 

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7