cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when I exceed my monthly data limit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm on the "O2 Sim Only Data 30D 40GB And More" tariff.

I received an email from O2 saying "O2: You've got 20% of your main data allowance left. Once you've used it up, we'll let you know and switch on your extra data so you can continue to use the internet at a reduced speed. "

I was wondering what "reduced speed" means more precisely, and how much I would be charged for any data I use over 40GB.

I couldn't find the answers on My O2. The online chat person didn't know, so I was wondering if anybody has any experience or knowledge of this.

Thanks, Jim

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
There is no charge but your speeds are reduced to a crawl akin to the old 256kbps on dial up !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
There is no charge but your speeds are reduced to a crawl akin to the old 256kbps on dial up !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically your internet stops unless you buy a bolt on or are connected to WiFi 

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome @Anonymous & welcome to the forum 

Message 5 of 6

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

The below gives an indication of the speeds you can expect when you exceed the allowance on an "and more" tariff. All depends on the maximum available speed where you are, however yuo'd have to go quite substantially over the allowance to be really throttled.

Speed

The full available speed

Half the available speed

A quarter of the available speed

An eighth of the available speed

Data Use Percentage

0-100%

100 – 125%

125% - 150%

150% +

20GB And More Tariff usage

Up to 20GB

20GB – 25GB

25GB – 30GB

30GB +

30GB And More Tariff usage

Up to 30GB

30GB – 37.5GB

37.5GB – 45GB

45GB +

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 6 of 6