cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web allowance on Text & Web changed?

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I first got my phone on O2 in May on the Text & Web tariff, as long as I topped-up at the start of each month, I'd have (seemingly free) internet on my phone 24/7. It was like this until about a month ago, when I received a notification telling me my daily web allowance was almost up. Now it costs me £1 a day for internet, and it only lasts for about three hours, after which I get (incredibly annoying) repeated notifications telling me to turn it off and that I can use it again after midnight.
So have they changed the Text & Web tariff, then? If so, can anyone recommend another tariff — or even another network? I'd like to be able to keep the internet on on my phone constantly, like I used to.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I first got my phone on O2 in May on the Text & Web tariff, as long as I topped-up at the start of each month, I'd have (seemingly free) internet on my phone 24/7. It was like this until about a month ago, when I received a notification telling me my daily web allowance was almost up. Now it costs me £1 a day for internet, and it only lasts for about three hours, after which I get (incredibly annoying) repeated notifications telling me to turn it off and that I can use it again after midnight.
So have they changed the Text & Web tariff, then? If so, can anyone recommend another tariff — or even another network? I'd like to be able to keep the internet on on my phone constantly, like I used to.

No it hasn't changed. Do you not still get the texts, each anniversary date, telling you that you now have your allowance? What tariff and internet allowance does it show you on My O2 or when you get your text balance.
(Incidentally you are supposed to top up before your anniversary date, not on it, to make sure you get your allowance )
From what you have put it sounds like you are getting your 500megabytes but going over your allowance, after that you go onto web daily but are using more than 50megabytes a day.
Check what tariff you are on and what allowance you have.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for replying.
Yeah, I still get the texts. The last one on 13 October said, "TEXT AND WEB FREE MONTHLY ALLOWANCE - 2990 messaging units & 500.0 MB left which will expire on 13 Nov".
I remember, by 14 October it alerted me that I'd used 450 MB, even though I'd only had the internet on in the background. I barely use my browser or even Facebook or similar apps. I mostly just like to have it running in the background so I can receive email notifications etc. How much data can that actually use up?
I used to be able to use Wi-Fi much more than I can now, which may account for it. Although, I still remember days when I was able to use my mobile internet from morning to night without a problem.
What I'm asking really is, how can I get internet on my phone all day without ever having to turn it off?
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are doing what you say then there is something seriously wrong somewhere. Email, Facebook, Twitter, the odd IM message and and some navigation using Google, accounts for around 250MB for me.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you clarify what you mean by 'internet running in the background' ?
How much data does the data counter on your handset say you are using?
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
By that I mean that the internet was connected, but I wasn't using the browser or any apps that would use up data. I literally just had it running with the phone on standby.
I've never used the data counter on my phone, so I couldn't tell you, sorry.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to check how much you are actually using (with the data counter) and compare with the figure on My O2.
As for 'running in the background' , that makes it sound like something is active and using data. Do you mean you have a handset with a Background Data tickbox? Or do you mean that you start the browser and switch away from it? Or do you mean that the phone shows a data connection is available? Or something else ?
Message 7 of 7