Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone in USA

Lucy1234
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I'm moving to the USA and I'm planning to keep my O2 contract so I can still receive texts (one time passwords) and phonecalls from UK numbers.  Does anyone know if this will be possible?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@Lucy1234 

It won't be cheap in the long term.

USA - Roaming with O2 

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

O2 may also have a problem with long term use abroad.

If you get a US sim and use WhatsApp any UK contacts can call or message you on that for free if they use WhatsApp too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@Lucy1234 

It won't be cheap in the long term.

USA - Roaming with O2 

O2 may also have a problem with long term use abroad.

If you get a US sim and use WhatsApp any UK contacts can call or message you on that for free if they use WhatsApp too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6626 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

Yes, but it could prove expensive

You can get the Travel Bolt on which cost £6 for everyday you use it or just  use internal rates which may be your best option

Standard rates

Making calls £2/min

Receiving calls £2/min

Sending texts 50p/text

Using data £7.20/MB

I would suggest making sure data is disabled

Also OTP are not guaranteed 

USA - Roaming with O2 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23106 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@Lucy1234 If your move to the US is permanent you cannot stay on a Pay Monthly contract. If you want to keep your number you should switch it to a Pay & Go tariff. O2 Pay & Go may not be the best for you. You need to shop around.

As far as getting calls from UK numbers goes, if you download WhatsApp and the UK numbers have the app too you can call, text, and video call those numbers using a WiFi connection for free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@Lucy1234 If your move to the US is permanent you cannot stay on a Pay Monthly contract. If you want to keep your number you should switch it to a Pay & Go tariff. O2 Pay & Go may not be the best for you. You need to shop around.

As far as getting calls from UK numbers goes, if you download WhatsApp and the UK numbers have the app too you can call, text, and video call those numbers using a WiFi connection for free.

@Lucy1234 

You have got a very constructive suggestion to "shop around" from @Bambino, but this might save you a bit of legwork if you are looking for a SIM for occasional use only :-

Pay As You Go SIM & Credit Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements (kenstechtips.com)

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

Message 5 of 6

Lucy1234
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Bambino, I'm not moving permanently - it's a temporary move for 3 years and I'll be back in the UK every 4 months or so.  I'm hoping I can still keep my monthly contract as I still need to receive texts from numbers that won't have access to WhatsApp ie my bank in the UK

Message 6 of 6