Did you mean: 

Using my Mobile in the USA

James_17
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi O2,

Can you please advise if i can use my mobile in the USA, Is this included in my current set up or do i have to pay extra for this?

Thanks

James

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@James_17Do you have O2 Travel Inclusive or O2 Travel as a bolt on. If you dont have Travel Inclusive then text to get O2 Travel before you travel. This gives you Minutes, texts and data for £6 per day.

Just to mention data speeds are appalling in the US so you would be better off getting a local sim from T Mobile or AT&T mobile.

More info here

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

USA - Roaming with O2 

and info about O2 Travel

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

James_17
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I'm not actually sure? i was a Virgin Media customer and have only just moved over to O2 today due to the merger? Think I'm best to nip into a O2 shop to check this, Don't fancy paying £6 per day! Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@James_17 

If you have moved over from Virgin and are a Volt customer, you will be on O2 Travel Inclusive

Before you go to the shop, check MyO2  http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

and check your bolt ons. If you have O2 Travel Inclusive, it will show there

Under Your Detailed Usage: This is mine

bolt ons 23.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23211 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

@James_17 To add to the advice from @Cleoriff, your data speed in the US will be extremely slow whichever bolt-on you have. There are many WiFi hotspots which you should try to use as much as you can, but public WiFi is not secure, so you might want to consider using a VPN. You can also use WhatsApp for free over a WiFi connection to keep in touch with others who also have the app.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

skorski
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi James,

I have just returned from the Usa having travelled Route 66 for three weeks.I purchased a prepaid Sim from SimCorner (Online)..Thirty days for £45.00,Unlimited Data/texts/calls in usa and uk.Worked really really well for me throughout 10 states..Ironically the sim card was o2..Enjoy Usa.

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

Great news @skorski. Thanks for the heads up about your local sim 😁

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36459 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

@skorski wrote:

Hi James,

I have just returned from the Usa having travelled Route 66 for three weeks.I purchased a prepaid Sim from SimCorner (Online)..Thirty days for £45.00,Unlimited Data/texts/calls in usa and uk.Worked really really well for me throughout 10 states..Ironically the sim card was o2..Enjoy Usa.

Irony, yes - typical disjointed thinking on O2's part 😖 - good tip, thanks @skorski 👍

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

I've checked that SimCorner site. Although a US company the prices were shown in GBP's As it's online you could actually buy your prepaid sim card before you travel and put it in phone  as you land in the States.

Brilliant idea.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

stevenman013
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, did you have to get your phone unlocked before the new sim card worked? I have a Google Pixel and I don't know if I buy a sim from SimCorner if I'll need to do anything to the phone in advance to get it to work in the States.

Thanks

Message 10 of 12