cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Iphone X with O2 refresh plan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone has had a horrifying experience with O2 recently, but i certainly have!

I have been O2 customer for a number of years and decided to upgrade to Iphone X on the O2 refresh plan. I was happy to receive the phone in a few days, but that was when my nightmare started. I tried to update my phone through itunes and then transfer my sim over to the new phone. This failed miserably as the new phone needed to be updated with a newer version of apple and i couldnt get the upgrade happening. After trying to reach O2 who then kindly kicked me over to Apple support and waiting for a few hours before someone decided to answer, i managed to get a decent person in apple support to walk me through my challenge. I got this sorted finally and my new iPhone was up and running. I then decided to be prudent and pay up my device cost so that i can unlock my phone to then be able to add a different sim when i went abroad. Well what did i know that this was going to turn into another nightmare for me. After a number of repeated attempts and calls to customer support in O2 and a lot of assurance that it would be sorted the next time around, i am still at a point where it is not yet unlocked! The explanation to this from O2 is that apple have rejected the imei provided as being part of O2 network, when they actually worked on resolving the issue with my phone in the first place. Now, i am not even sure which wall i should crack my skull into, since neither O2 nor apple have been supportive in this instance, leave alone communicating with each other. O2 is assured i am on their network and confused as to why apple is rejecting it, but they cannot be bothered to do anything about! Anyway that is one of the many woes i am facing... Another classic one is the corporate discount that i am trying to get applied to my account through O2 Open. I had this setup with my last phone, but granted it was a different company. To get it setup this time around has been another pulling my hair experience, where i go through all the hoops in getting O2 to send an email to my work email address clicking on the link and then going to O2 open, registering and then clicking on the device to apply the discount. Well what happens, i get a lovely message which says the system could not carry out the request at this time, please contact customer service for assistance. Now what do the customer service do, they kick you around saying i have to try this again once more, or possibly fill another form and send it out and sit for another 72 hours. I am not sure how many times i might have gone through this exercise but, i certainly can say more than half a dozen... 

Anway long story, short i am still sitting with my phone happy that it is working, but unhappy with both O2 and Apple for not addressing their customer need or even making the attempt.

Thanks for reading my rant and i so hope you don't have such a horrible experience.

Sathya Urath

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Keep on at customer service until they sort. It's totally down to them to get the get it unlocked. 

Have you tried unlocking via the link in My O2? It should recognise the phone is paid in full. 

Meanwhile make a complaint.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Further update, i did speak to apple about unlocking my phone and they did confirm that i am the registered owner of the IMEI device. So, i am totally stumped!! They state that O2 should resolve this issue for me and should do so, if they have me as the owner with the IMEI and have the associated bill and everything with it,which i do!!

Message 2 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Keep on at customer service until they sort. It's totally down to them to get the get it unlocked. 

Have you tried unlocking via the link in My O2? It should recognise the phone is paid in full. 

Meanwhile make a complaint.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 3 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous how are you getting on with this issue? Have you got any kind of resolution yet? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Martin,

I managed to successfully get my phone unlocked! Hooray!!! This was after perseverence with customer support both at O2 and apple. Now, next target is to get the discount applied on my tariff.

On writing a review, why not? sure.

Thanks!

Sathya

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonsie, thanks i managed to get my phone unlocked. Now the discount on tariff part. Cheers!
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Unlocking help link here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...

Discount help link here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Open-amp-Friends-and-Family-discounts-H...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Well done @Anonymous and as I said you have to persevere with customer service. It shouldn't have to be so but the reality is that if you don't you wouldn't get anything sorted. I do think that this is the same with any network and that in general, customer service is lacking in many walks of life these days. 

Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Are they unlocking the iPhone X already then?...Or have I missed something crucial in the thread?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Are they unlocking the iPhone X already then?...Or have I missed something crucial in the thread?

The phone was paid off in full. 

Message 10 of 15