cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited calls to upgrade phone / contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this O2, or some one working on their behalf, or some chancer buying contact information to carry out unsolicited cold calling sales to upgrade?

Had a couple of calls from some people saying I am eligable for an upgrade and they are upgrading my phone on behalf of O2.

They have my mobile number, name, address, postcode and when my current contract expires ( it has just ).

Pushy sales person, but seemed to be able to offer phone and tariff, although all a bit strange.

24mb data?  

Found out after I agreed to get a HTC One X + that it was a HTC one X and only the basic 16mb version!  Phoned 'em back ( 0870 8200 326 ) and woman told me it was just a One X - they didn't do the One X +, and anyway despite being assured the handset would be with me next day they actually didn't have any for 2-3 days, awaiting delivery.  The black handset was now white or grey!

Told her I would cancel under distance selling regs as wrong handset and not a suitable tariff she said Ok feel free!

Called O2 who said it may have been initiated from O2 but no record of contract upgrade ( I guess may not have been propcessed by then, 6 hours later? ) and their tariffs don't match what I was offered, and O2 DO have the One X+ in stock with more memory etc.

SO if you get a call from these cowboys just string 'em along or blow them out!

Any one else had this?

Put the phone number into google and the whoiscalling me from... web sites show this is carphone warehouse, operating as e2save and upgrade me up.

I assume they have bought the contact personal data from O2 ??

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 do have an association with the CPW and under the T&C's O2 are allowed to pass on your details to third parties if they so choose. 

You can opt out though by contacting O2 (email might be the best option).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 do have an association with the CPW and under the T&C's O2 are allowed to pass on your details to third parties if they so choose. 

You can opt out though by contacting O2 (email might be the best option).

Message 2 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Steersy, thanks for the reply.

Struggling to find an e-mail for O2, used the chat thing before instead, but could do with restricting that advertising stuff.

I felt it was a bit "passing off" from this other company since they are NOT O2 and don't offer the same phones / packages as O2 do.

The e-mail receipt was from Vizz Media Ltd, Poole dorset.

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, noticed that thread, thought I'd share my experience today, bit more detail and concern if a fraud etc.!
Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There is an email link in my signature and you can set your marketing preferences in My O2.

Won't stop the cowboys though.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jonsie for the assist. slight_smile

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good one.

Just checked My O2 and it's ticked for newsletter and free stuff, but NOT 3rd parties and marketing ( the lower option ).

Message 8 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I think it's getting to the stage where we started making our feelings known about these third party calls offering upgrades, it must be very confusing to get calls like this.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I think it's getting to the stage where we started making our feelings known about these third party calls offering upgrades, it must be very confusing to get calls like this.

Have to agree with that.

Message 10 of 16