cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited W-Fi Pay & Go Questions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 3gs. I'm a fairly light user in terms of my phone calls, topping up £10 every 2-3 months. I don't text that much either and would not get remotely close to using 300 texts per month. I would only be looking to use the web the majority of the time.

300 inclusive UK texts and 500MB Web provided you have topped-up between £10 and £14 in the previous month.

1. Based on my usage, does the above quote (from terms and conditions) mean that I would only get the 500mb of wi-fi usage for 30 days from the point of top up - meaning that I would have to go perhaps 2 months without internet until I topped up again?

Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 9,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud and BT Openzone. Excessive usage policy and full terms apply. At the end of the twelve month free period you will start to be charged £10 per month for the Web and Wi-Fi Bolt On.

2. Regarding the above quote, I discussed wi-fi hotspots with a colleague at work who has a monthly contract. I was informed that if they weren't near a hotspot, they would just use 3g on their Iphone. What is this? Does this mean an extra charge over and above the unlimited wi-fi? Or, is it the same thing?

Kindest Regards

Woody.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
You've got things a little confused.
The Text and Web tariff comes with 500megabytes of network data (data over O2's 2G and 3G networks) NOT wi-fi data.
The second quote refers to the iPhone web and wi-fi bolt on. This includes wi-fi from O2's partner hotspot providers as well as network data.

Of course you can access your own and free wi-fi hotspots without adding the bolt-on.
Of course
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks prking

I think I'm kinda getting this. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Definition-wise....Network Data is any data which is web related that I get through my phone whether this be internet usage through 3g or via wi-fi from O2's partner hotspot providers? What else counts as Network Data which would eat into the 500Mb allowance? Texts?

If I top up by £10, I get 30 days 500MB usage of the internet via 3g or via wi-fi from O2's partner hotspot providers. Does this mean that after 30 days I lose whatever I have left of this 500Mb...leaving me to use only free hotspots or my existing credit at £3 per Mb until I top up again?

Regards

Woody
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I said you are confusing two things the Text and Web tariff and the iPhone Web and Wi-fi bolt-on.
As I also said, Network Data refers to data use on O2's (2G & 3G) network, it does NOT include wi-fi.
So the Text and Web tariff gives you a free allowance, once a month on your anniversary date, based on the total amount you have topped up since your last anniversary date. So if you had topped up £10 you would receive 300texts and 500megabytes of O2 2G/3G data. The allowance does not carry forward.

Completely separate is the web and wi-fi bolt-on. You can add this to any tariff (eg favourite place) and provides you with unlimited network data and unlimited wi-fi through partner hotspots. This costs £10 a month.
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I said you are confusing two things the Text and Web tariff and the iPhone Web and Wi-fi bolt-on.
As I also said, Network Data refers to data use on O2's (2G & 3G) network, it does NOT include wi-fi.

Completely separate is the web and wi-fi bolt-on. You can add this to any tariff (eg favourite place) and provides you with unlimited network data and unlimited wi-fi through partner hotspots. This costs £10 a month.

Thanks prking

It's the "network data" thing that's getting me confused. Network data is mentioned as having a 500Mb cap in the tarrif but "unlimited" in the bolt on, which I understand I will have for free for the first year on PAYG? £10 per month thereafter.

Okay...I hope I've got this and thank you very much for your patience. You're bieng very kind...am I correct in assuming:

1. I can get unlimited network data from wi-fi partner hotspots (during my first year or for £10 per month thereafter)?

2. I can get unlimited data using any free (non-partner) hotspots I find and also from my own wi-fi connection at home?

3. The 500Mb cap will only apply to Network Data I receive via 02's 2G & 3G Network?

4. I would still be able to use the bolt on if I had no topup within the last month.

Regards

Woody
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll have one more go! NETWORK DATA does NOT include wi-fi.
The Text and Web tariff includes 500megabytes of 3G/2G data. There is no inclusive wi-fi.
Message 6 of 6