Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unanswered International Call Charges

Ian_G
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm currently on a business trip in China, and something quite puzzling (and a bit frustrating, if I'm honest) is happening with my O2 Pay Monthly contract. Despite the excitement of the trip, there's a little cloud hanging over me - phone charges!

Here's the deal: I keep getting calls from the UK, which I haven't been answering. But here’s the kicker - O2 charges me £2 each time, even if I don't pick up! 📵💸 This has been adding up, and it’s making my monthly bill a lot heftier than I'd like.

So, I'm reaching out to this amazing community for some wisdom:

How can I stop these charges from happening? Is there a setting I'm missing or a specific plan I should switch to while I'm abroad?
Any tips on getting a refund for these charges? Has anyone successfully navigated this situation with O2, and can you share your strategy?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm hoping to solve this mystery with your insights and get back to focusing on my trip (and work, of course) without this phone bill cloud looming over me.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145050 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@Ian_G 

The charges are for receiving calls that get answered by your voicemail.

This needs to be turned off and ideally before leaving the UK.

Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 145050 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@Ian_G 

The charges are for receiving calls that get answered by your voicemail.

This needs to be turned off and ideally before leaving the UK.

Guide: All you need to know about O2 Voicemail 901 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 6

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6800 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

It you are paying £2 then I guess you have no bolt onswhich makes roaming in China hideously expensive.

If you recieve a call and not answer unless your voicemail isn't off the call will make a return leg to your voicemail and even if they don't leave a message the charge will kick in.

Standard rates

Making calls £2/min

Receiving calls £2/min

Sending texts 50p/text

Using data £7.20/MB

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 6

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Calls £2.00 per minute or part-minute!

Calls always rounded up to full minute

Message 4 of 6

Ian_G
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize voicemail callbacks were causing these charges. 😅

Could you guide me on how to turn off my voicemail while abroad? Also, any recommended bolt-ons or plans to cut down on these costs?

Appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 145050 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@Ian_G 

You can use the O2 Travel Bolt On, which gives you unlimited minutes, texts and data for just £6 a day. You can opt-in to O2 Travel by texting TRAVEL to 23336. You’ll only be charged for the days you use it.

If the shortcodes don't work from China, you will need to contact O2 to apply the travel bolt on and turn off voicemail.

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this or contact numbers here Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 6