cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to the USA

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm travelling to the USA next month, do o2 offer any sort of data package (calls and texts not required just data). I can't seem to find anything, only European deals.

I was with Vodafone last year in the USA and ended up with a £300 bill just from using data in the airport, they didn't offer any sort of package so just wanted to see if o2 differs?

Many thanks
Message 1 of 38
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
At the moment there are no offers for roaming in the USA.

Best advise would be to get a 3 Pay & Go sim as you can use your allowance over there at no extra cost

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
At the moment there are no offers for roaming in the USA.

Best advise would be to get a 3 Pay & Go sim as you can use your allowance over there at no extra cost
Message 2 of 38

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would need to get the phone unlocked to use a Three sim but it is a good option

Another option once the phone is unlocked is to use a local sim card.

As always, use wifi where possible.

Message 3 of 38

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

If you do get the phone unlocked I'd highly recommend using an American T-Mobile SIM. I used one in the summer for a month - around £30 for unlimited data (with unlimited north american calls and texts). Got full bars of 4G in the middle of the Mojave desert.

Message 4 of 38

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous If you get a Three Pay & Go sim you can use it to make and receive calls and texts to and from the UK and use whatever amount of data you've bought with no extra roaming charges. What you can't do with a Three sim while in the US is make local or long distance calls within the US without being charged for those calls. For that you need a local Pay & Go sim from either T-Mobile or AT&T.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

@Anonymous If you get a Three Pay & Go sim you can use it to make and receive calls and texts to and from the UK and use whatever amount of data you've bought with no extra roaming charges. What you can't do with a Three sim while in the US is make local or long distance calls within the US without being charged for those calls. For that you need a local Pay & Go sim from either T-Mobile or AT&T.

@Bambino I am also going to the States which is why your post is very interesting.  In my case I am going to need to unblock my Note  4  - I will want data for Google maps or other SatNav app.  What would be the advantage of Three Pay and Go over going local with either T-Mobile or AT & T ?   

Message 6 of 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You will need to top up the three sim with £20 and buy the all in one add on - that is all you will pay.
I've no idea what a local US sim will cost you though but it has to be easier to leave here knowing you are all set and ready to go.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You will need to top up the three sim with £20 and buy the all in one add on - that is all you will pay.
I've no idea what a local US sim will cost you though but it has to be easier to leave here knowing you are all set and ready to go.

@MI5 it would certainly one thing less I will need to worrry about that is true.  Any issues with 4G overage anyone?

Daniel

Message 8 of 38

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous If you're not concerned about making calls back to the UK, then you won't need a Three sim, but I have both, and I use them in the way I suggested to the other person.

By the way, you don't need data for Google Maps any more. You can download an area over WiFi and use it offline. https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en There are also other GPS apps that don't need data. Map Factor uses Ordinance Survey maps, and is also very good. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en Google Maps is slightly better though, as it gives street names in the turn by turn directions, whereas the OS maps don't.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Dan, Bambino is best placed to tell you about data speeds in US but I've used my Three sim all over Europe with great data speeds.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 38