cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To PAYg or not to PAYg!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some background. I have been with O2 since it was BT, a long time ago (might give an idea of my age, yes slightly senior). I have always been on PAYg because I didn't feel it was worth it to go on contract in those days as I only ever used it as a "emergency phone" when out and about and £10 would last me a long time! Now my grandson has passed on his iphone4s and I have arranged a new SIM card. I know how to use it as I have an ipad.

What I want to know in simple terms is, is it worth going on a £9 a month 12 month contract which O2 have just offered me, giving 100mb 100 minutes and unlimited text. (If I ask my grandson he just talks technical, too much for me) and he is on contract which his parents pay for. The only thing I use really is text, the odd phone call and occasional internet, in fact most of the time wifi is off, just on for updates etc. I usually top as O2 keep telling me to get my text 500 free uk text and 500mb web allowance or I will be charged standard rate. I did have a couple of occasions when they contacted me that I had to pay £1 because I had used my allowance - no not why!

Am I being a bit thick about the best way to go, no doubt someone will put me straight. Thank you for any help given and sorry it's so long.
Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just looked it up for you the next one up is 11 a month that comes with 300 data and 300 minutes I would say for the extra £2 go for that one

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The important part is Data and 100mb is not a lot for use on an iphone IMO.

Smartphones cry out to be used on the internet and update in the background too all eating data up, even when you use wifi where available.

Really it should be min 500mb upwards.

One can add data bolt on's but this can then be expensive over the course of a month taking into account these dont roll over into the next month.

Try asking for a better data allowance is my advice.

Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just looked it up for you the next one up is 11 a month that comes with 300 data and 300 minutes I would say for the extra £2 go for that one
Message 3 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
One thing I would watch out on with iPhone is that overnight the phone turns off its Wi Fi connection and it will continue to update itself using your 100mb.

Your allowance will go quickly if that happens so you will need to remember to turn off mobile data overnight.

Otherwise I would go with damien1's advice and get 500mb as your safety net.
Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
One thing I would watch out on with iPhone is that overnight the phone turns off its Wi Fi connection and it will continue to update itself using your 100mb.

Your allowance will go quickly if that happens so you will need to remember to turn off mobile data overnight.

Otherwise I would go with damien1's advice and get 500mb as your safety net.

If the iPhone is placed on charge then wifi should stay on.

Message 5 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
It sure does
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks BoB and Damien1. Not having had iPhone I wasn't aware of that but thought best to mention it for the OP s they don't appear to be too clued up on it (No offence to anyone there)
Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the OP decides to opt for a 100mb of data allowance per month then any and all tips will be needed so that its used up sparingly.

Message 8 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh yes perfectly valid point Piperdog I had an iphone until I saw the light
Message 9 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh yes perfectly valid point Piperdog I had an iphone until I saw the light

Come on now stay on topic boys.

Its normally my job to drag off topic Zipped

Whistle