cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The card number is not right for the selected card type.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have the message "The card number is not right for the selected card type." when i want activated my sim card with the "webtopup". My credit card is a VISA.

Have you a solution for this problem ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Is this the first time you have topped up? If so you may need to use a voucher in the first instance

and then you should be able to register your card for the future... Other ways to top up are here in this guide. Scroll down to PAYG http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Ways-to-pay-guidelines/m-p/874982

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

And o2 are still denying there is a problem. The system is flawed I'm afraid. I tried 3 different cards when I ported my number in 7 weeks ago. Luckily the 3rd card worked but only through the banking app.

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
You van also try calling CS if nothing else works for you
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23157 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

It still puzzles me why O2 doesn't insist that all contract customers pay their bill by direct debit, except in special circumstances. I'm sure that 99% of threads started here concerning this issue wouldn't exist.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
I believe this one is a PAYG sim Bambino?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23157 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

Ah. Okay. My bad. I misread it. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 14

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions
I gather from some contacts here at work that some of the banks have issued new PAN and BIN ranges for their cards (first six digits) , and that the banks haven't updated the Card Processing companies, or merchants so some cards are coming up as invalid.

This is only due to get worse as MasterCard are going to start issuing cards in the 22 range in a couple of months time.

So this isn't a unique to o2 issue I'm afraid, and I have experienced this in the past when my bank at the time changed from Switch to Visa Debit.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Yes there was a big issue when Maestro cards stopped being accepted by retailers. But the issue with visa and other debit cards has been going on for months now. Cards accepted everywhere have been declined by o2 for reasons unknown and they refused to accept they had a problem referring customers to their banks.

We were of the opinion that this had been resolved but first top ups on new P&G accounts are still proving almost impossible with debit cards.

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
That first top up with a card issue has been around even longer than the general payment details too.
Old advice was to call cs to register card first or use a voucher to activate the sim.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14