cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting from abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, so new to O2, and read about the text option from abroad, where you can use your allowance, and one text equates to 4 from your allowance.

I've just called customer services and they stated this was for Europe only, yet on the O2 site it doesn't stipulate Europe, it says anywhere:

Pay Monthly customers can use text messages from within their normal text message allowance, at a rate of 4 to 1 i.e. you will use 4 normal text messages to send a text message from any where abroad

Does anyone know/have experience of this? I am going to the US in September/October you see. I have previously used fishtext for $0.02 texts but fishtext doesn't work on the iphone.

I am a pay monthly customer and have 500 texts along with the unlimited bolt on.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I went to Florida in June and used my phone a few times. texting and about two 5 minutes calls. I had a nice suprise when i got home of a £370.00 bill.

So becarfull of how much you use your phone abroad.

grin grin
Message 2 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Jodi was you charge made up of data?? That looks very high for a few txts and calls what tariff are you on.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
senwario
LAst year I went to usa and my txts were at .25p a go on a business contract pre iphone contract but on a then current o2 business contract.

The main thing to remember with the iphone is to ensure data roaming is off as that is in the usa £6.00 a mb.

And try and connect to free wi-fi providers in the usa a good site for info is http://www.wififreespot.com/

Hope that helps Adam
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I went to Florida in June and used my phone a few times. texting and about two 5 minutes calls. I had a nice suprise when i got home of a £370.00 bill.
So becarfull of how much you use your phone abroad.
grin grin

:mansurprised:

Crikey!

I actually spoke to a couple of other CS reps yesterday and they confirmed that you can use it anywhere and it will come from my allowance of 500. Will just keep an eye on it. Have read about switching roaming etc off - I'll check into this and other settings nearer the time.

Thanks for the info
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got a text from o2 on 1st july stating their new policy on a 4 to 1 ratio being used for euro text messaging. I get 1000 inclusive texts each month so am well able to fuel this ratio.
My current bill does not reflect this and i am getting charged the 11p for sending text messages to my Irish friends.

When I called o2 they did not know why this happened and credited the amounts charged. They could also not say why it happened. :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent:

I assume this 4 to 1 ratio applies should you be anywhere (UK or Euro zone)

Has this happened to anyone else?
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The 4 to 1 ratio applies to every single country other than the in the UK. However, just be careful as you need to be very calculative in sending text messages. You might think that you have sent one message but if it contains more htan 160 characters, it will be considered as another text message. A typical new mobile phone will allow users to send up to 10 messages length as one text message. Just think about it. If you've sent 10 messages length, it will be 10x4 and not just 4 text messages.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
The 4 to 1 ratio applies to every single country other than the in the UK.

Surely this can not be correct. Why would you not be allowed to use your allocation in the UK as well as the rest of europe?
If this is the case, it is totally useless for me as I need to send texts to Ireland from the UK.

Thanks a lot O2 for NOTHING :robotmad:
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeap, it might sound strange but that's what it is. Texts sent from the UK to other countries are charged at international text rates, currently 16p or 12p if you are on ITS.

It's only texts you send from abroad to the UK (or to other countries as well?) that benefit from the 4:1 ratio from your inclusive texts. It might have something to do with European laws forcing networks to gradually reduce their roaming prices over the past few years (and the next few years to come) - this might be O2's way of complying with this. However these laws do not apply to the networks' home countries, where the networks can charge as they see fit.
Message 9 of 9