Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting The UK While Abroad

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I will be going on a (much needed) holiday in a few weeks and I just wanted to check something.

I am on a PAYG tariff which gives me unlimited texts to UK mobiles - would that allow me to text UK numbers whilst I am abroad and not incur charges?

I will be travelling to Spain.  I don't want to use a Spanish sim card.

I have read the O2 International charges page http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad and the O2 Travel Bolt On page https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe but I am still a bit baffled.

I am aware of it being easier to use apps such as Whatsapp and BBM when I am in a wifi area, but I do know that some places that I will travelling to will not have wifi and therefore I will need to text.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

All texts sent from abroad are charged as per the rates on the pages you link to your uk allowance is only for use when in the uk

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

All texts sent from abroad are charged as per the rates on the pages you link to your uk allowance is only for use when in the uk

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 16

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Oh ok thank you for clarifying it.

I guess it was wishful thinking that I wouldn't be charged.

Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Adam is correct Gemz. To add to that I travel to Spain every month and am now on Contract...(Unlimited tariff)

Easy for me to forget (initially) that did NOT include Spain.Smiley Embarassed

However when I was on PAYG, the one good thing I found was, if you have any friends in the UK, (on the

O2>O2 tariff) it was free for them to ring me...so much cheaper Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is a shame you are not on a contract @gemz4the1 as you could have used TuGo whilst in areas with free wifi
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
As your on Payg you won't incur charges as such.

You'll only be able to access the service's what your available Credit allows @gemz4the1
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
It will just run all your credit out instead
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your friends have idevices then use iMessage while on wifi if possible.

Viber or what's app if they have them downloaded too or even e mail are alternatives, which you hit upon in your post.

Internet cafes.
Message 8 of 16

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I wish I was on Pay Monthly aswell, but at the moment, PAYG is the best option for me.

I cannot be trusted on Pay Monthly - I always draw up big bills 😞

I wish O2 did a bolt on for abroad - such as ## texts and ## calls for a specific price (cheaper than the standard rates).

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
For you Gemma again the monthly tariff mentioned for your relation (depending on your data needs) would mean you COULDN'T go over your limit as your calls and texts are unlimited.

Are you a text / data person or do you call as well?
Message 10 of 16