Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting 6 digit numbers

frankie805
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can you advise whether it is possible to dial 5-digit numbers?

Have tried to enter a competition, using 5 numbers, but message not delivered.  I used to be able to dial these numbers.

Thank you

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@frankie805 

Many shortcodes fall into the "Premium rate" category.

If you have a spend cap Guide: Spend caps on O2 or premium rate bar on your account, they will be disabled.

To remove such restrictions, you need to call customer service Guide: How to find help & contact O2 but be aware that costs can mount up considerably.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
You prob have a direct bar on best call o2 to ask about it
Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@frankie805 

Many shortcodes fall into the "Premium rate" category.

If you have a spend cap Guide: Spend caps on O2 or premium rate bar on your account, they will be disabled.

To remove such restrictions, you need to call customer service Guide: How to find help & contact O2 but be aware that costs can mount up considerably.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 15

frankie805
  • 18 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for replying so quickly.

The number I wish to text is standard rate, not premium.

I used to be able to dial these numbers with no problem.  I will contact o2 and ask for numbers not to be blocked.  Will I be able to do this using the 'chat' function when they are less busy?

Much appreciated

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@frankie805 

Personally, I'd call rather than chat.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Just reading through your query @frankie805 cautionary advice by @MI5 is well worth considering. All too often scams accompany competitions etc.
Good luck stay safe. TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 15

frankie805
  • 18 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, really appreciate everyone's concern, you can't be too careful regarding scams, etc.

However, the competition is being run by Tesco, and posted at MSE, please see following link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6059641

Both reputable concerns, have entered their text competitions previously with no problems.

Very much appreciate everyone's help.

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@frankie805 

60110 is still classed as a premium rate number so you will still need to lift any bars.

The costs will vary by provider so some could be free whilst others up to £4.50 per text.

More info here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges#.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

frankie805
  • 18 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much for further information and link.

The last time I texted this number to enter a competition, the charge (from memory) was 10p.  

Will contact O2 tomorrow, and ask what charges would be for texting this number, and if not too expensive will ask them to allow premium rate numbers.

Thank you, everyone is very helpful.

Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@frankie805 

The cost of texting should really be in the terms and conditions. Every competition you see advertised on TV gives the cost of texting from a mobile.

I imagine Tesco would be the best people to call.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15