cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tariff confusion - need more texts!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, there was a misunderstanding when I upgraded via CPW 02 which they are looking into for me (do they *really* listen to the upgrade phone calls to determine what was said?!), which is fine as I know what I said, and even have emails to prove it. Anyway - I live abroad in Europe and have done for 2 years. My contract was up last month (been pay monthly customer for 10+ years) and so I've upgraded to a Sony W995 and the 24 month, 600 mins £25 month unlimited text tariff. Was shocked when went online and saw massive bill already in two weeks - called up and found out that unlimited texts doesn't take 4 txts for each text like my last tariff did and instead you get charged. So, my case is being looked at at the moment. My question is - if I were to switch to a 400 minute, 500 text tariff and paid extra for the ITS (which means I'm still paying more but whatevs), is there an option to bolt on extra texts? I can only see unlimited bolt ons. Am I stuck with 500 as my upper text limit (which isn't many texts back to the UK).

Before you ask, it's more expensive to get any kind of phone in France! But anyway, I love the phone and am happy to continue paying - just want to figure out how you'd go about getting more texts...

Cheers! sorry for long post....
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
_

I don't really have much to add to your situation, except to say I'm in the same boat. In my case, I've been in this situation for 6 months. Not because o2 won't do anything about it, but because I didn't run up a huge bill, and there was so much confusion in June that I thought I'd take it up later.

I did read enough in the terms and conditions to discover that the 4 for 1 "normal" rule doesn't apply when the "unlimited" texts are provided courtesy of a bolt-on.

In my case too, my original invoice (from in my case Dial-A-Phone) shows a plan with a different name from the one shown in my 02 account. Also the basic price is slightly different, although the total is about the same.

My problem is not the total text availability, but the occasional multimedia message. At the moment it would cost me 25p for each mms. If they'll let me drop from "Unlimited" texts, courtesy of a free bolt-on, to the basic 500 texts, then I can start sending some multimedia message at the 4 for 1 rate.

The problem is the little advertised "Unlimited Text" bolt-on, and its implications.

_
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes exactly - I had absolutely no idea that unlimited didn't count abroad and nobody told me that. I was quite clear about saying I lived here. I am hoping they will sort it out somehow.

Meantime - I've discovered another anomaly - previously, when I texted FROM abroad to a UK, French, or Spanish number, it took 4 texts. Is this still the case, or will they charge FROM abroad to a French or spanish number? Am soooo confused now.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
The tariff you have is 600 minutes, 0 texts and an unlimited text bolt on.
Basically, texting to the UK from abroad deducted from the texts you have (in your case 0).
If you were on the online 35, (600 minutes, 1000 texts and a free bolt on, lets say unlimited texts), texting from abroad to the UK will deduct from your 1000 texts.
If you upgraded through the Carphone Warehouse, you will need to speak with them and not o2 about the terms of the contract that you had agreed.
I was never sure about texting a foreign number while you was abroad, but I imagine you have been texting foreign numbers from your number while you are abroad and you still got it by taking 4 out of your allowance rather than charging you. If this is the case, the same applies.
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Texting foreign numbers from abroad does come out at the 4:1 ratio.

If you're overseas a lot, I'd recommend the O2 Simplicity tariffs:

Simplicity 30 gets you 2400 free texts (=600 overseas) for £30 / mo for a one month rolling contract, or 3200 texts for £30 / mo on 12 month contract. I appreciate that it's not so helpful for you now that you've just got a new handset, but may be helpful for anyone else looking...
Message 5 of 5