Did you mean: 

Taking out a new contract after switching to PAYG

Patrik-Jay
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all.

When I first joined O2 my credit score was abysmal (its still not great), and I couldn't get a phone contract anywhere. To counter this I took out a sim only plan with O2 and built up a good payment history until they allowed me to upgrade to a device plan. To this date, I have never missed a payment with O2.

My current phone will be paid off in March, and I intend to switch to PAYG for a while to keep costs down. My question is - If I do this, but decide I want a new device at some point in the future, will my good payment history with O2 carry over, or will I be judged based on my current credit score when I apply for a new device plan?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You will still need to go through credit and affordability checks

Even upgrades are sometimes credit checked albeit soft checks

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@Patrik-Jay 

It will be based on O2's own criteria which takes all factors into account including a hard credit check.

This applies to everyone now regardless of history or current contract.

The only way you are guaranteed to remain a customer is to not change anything at all.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Patrik-Jay
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah, thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I'd be better off just opting for a smaller data plan.

Message 4 of 5

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5813 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Patrik-Jay 

So whether or not you move to PAYG now will have absolutely no impact on whether or not you can procure a new device from O2 at some point in the future. 

If O2 won't let you buy a new device from them, there are plenty of other suppliers out there ! 😀 

Message 5 of 5