cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to o2 but data throughput is just hopeless. What are my options?

ricsto
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I recently switched from Vodafone to o2 on a 24 month contract, ported my number etc. I've passed my cooling off period. The issue I have is data throughput. To be honest it's abysmal and fluctuates between not working at all. I work in the centre of Bristol and for various reasons need data throughput to do my work. At 7.00am in the morning when arriving at work I get some throughput but by 10.00am its gone

I've checked service status and there are no reported issues, I've rebooted, cleared network settings etc. I sit in exactly the same desk as when I was on Vodafone and there throughput was excellent. I could tolerate o2 being slower but it's beyond slow, it grinds to a halt every single day. This non-existent throughput is in lots of other areas too.

What are my options? I'm loathe to pay o2 the remaining 20 months of my account but basically the service is not as advertised. Service Status says good 4G in and out but I've just ran speed checker and I get .1 of an mbit down and close to nothing upload.

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144448 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@ricsto 

Guide here Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

We’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this
Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

ricsto
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply MI5. I don't do social media. Would I get better traction using social media as opposed to regular o2 help. I'll sign up to one of those social apps if I would.

Genuinely appreciate your help. 

FWIW for those thinking why did I move from Vodafone. Purely down to cost and cost of living. o2 tariff was cheaper and I believed I'd get coverage. It's odd that the 4G signal is very strong, it's just the throughput that doesn't actually exist. Midday and I'm timing out on anything requiring data. Thanks

Message 3 of 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Sadly, I have seen lots of reports about Bristol. Basically too many people using too little bandwidth. You get good signal but, as you have found, poor data.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144448 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@ricsto 

It's due to congestion on the network. Just like a motorway slows down with heavy traffic.

If you prefer to call, numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5