Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping number to new sim

BJackson
Level 1: Joiner
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What's the process for swapping a number from an existing o2 account to a new account? 

I currently have an o2 refresh and will be settling the device plan tomorrow. Can I just cancel the current contract and swap the number over as normal? Or is there anything else I need to do?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@BJackson 

OK, so when you get your new contract set up you need to ask customer service to migrate the number from the old account to the new one, but this needs to be requested by the person who's name is on the account and you need to confirm it, so both you and the named account holder need to be on the call to customer service at the same time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@BJackson 

If you are planning on upgrading to a new device with O2, you don't need to cancel. Once the device is paid off you can continue with your number on your current airtime plan until you upgrade at which point the number will transfer automatically.

If moving networks, you need a PAC Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] and will need to cancel your O2 contract Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can just call customer service and they will do everything for you including cancelling your current contract. 

Message 3 of 9

BJackson
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 The current contract isn't in my name because it was 18 at the time. I've now got a new contract in my own name and I'm due to collect the phone tomorrow. 

I just need to transfer the number from one o2 account to another. 

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@BJackson 

OK, so when you get your new contract set up you need to ask customer service to migrate the number from the old account to the new one, but this needs to be requested by the person who's name is on the account and you need to confirm it, so both you and the named account holder need to be on the call to customer service at the same time.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

BJackson
Level 1: Joiner
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5  okay that makes sense. Thank you for your help. 

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome mate.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hello @BJackson
Hope all goes well for you and great you now have your own account and number. Enjoy your new phone 👍

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 9