Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange call to my phone

Feebs3758
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Had a strange call to my phone yesterday. It came up as my son calling, but when I answered it was a foreign person saying I had called them half an hour earlier. I was confused and rang off. Then Zi got a WhatsApp message, again seemingly from my son’s number, only it came up as a completely new conversation and the photo was of a girl. The messaged sent a screenshot showing that my number had called them. I could see other calls to their phone and work out that they are in Romania. Checked with my son who had his phone in his possession. My phone had actually been turned off at the time the supposed initial call from my phone was made. Anyone have a clue? The Romanian seemed as surprised as I was.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144922 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions

@Feebs3758 

I would report it to customer service so they can investigate.

We have had other reports of similar strange occurrences Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123323 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Feebs3758 

That's never happened to me, though I suspect it was a one off 'glitch'. Or even a random dialling type of situation.

If it keeps happening then maybe your son (or you) need to change mobile numbers

This can be done by contacting customer services Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum. Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Feebs3758
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. I did report it to Customer Services, but just got prepared phrases back In can tell you are concerned’ and ‘don’t ring any strange numbers back’. Don’t really think they had understood my story. Inclined to think it was a glitch, but will stay alert!
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144922 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @Marjo 

This is not the first report of this phenomenon.

Can you escalate internally for an investigation please?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

This is definitely a strange one @Feebs3758. I'll grab a few details from you and see if we can figure out what's happened. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 8

Feebs3758
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Martin.?ive been thinking more about it and have actually spoken to the Romanian lady, as it turned out her number had got saved into my phone against my son! I am satisfied that it was not a scam, but not sure how her number got in there! I DID hand my phone to a friend who made a call to a landline from it in front of me. She dialled the number (it was a pub and we wanted to know if they were still serving food!). I remember that she got connected to a mobile voicemail, hung up and dialled again and got the pub. But how the landline number became a mobile number and got saved against my son I don’t know.
Message 7 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Feebs3758 it sounds like it was a glitch with your handset rather then anything malicious. If it happens again it might be worth resetting your phone. Let us know if anything similar occurs again and we can look into it if needed. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 8