cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow 4G by 4G Dongle fast on phone with O2.

0Legacy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi hoping some can look into this I have a 4G Dongle with O2 Pay Monthly many years found a problem with the one O2 gave me with session limiting so got this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BRKPLE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it works but is slow tested the O2 one and thats slow too so went and got these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B142DF1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it improved the speed but at most get 5Mb.

What I don't get is my phone Sony Xperia 5 II with O2 sin is fast over 20Mb (sometimes 80Mb) by 4G.

I have a good mind to change the sin over and see what happens.😲

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@0Legacy wrote:

I have a good mind to change the sin over and see what happens.😲

You phone sim in a dongle will be blocked by the system.

Dongles must use data only sims and are speed controlled by O2's traffic management to provide the best service for all users.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

0Legacy
  • 17 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I just wanted to see what would happen thats all.

Tried a vodafone sim and got bad speed will that too.

So what O2 have different management QoS/BWM for phone and Dongles?

Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@0Legacy 

Part of O2's management policy relates to the amount of data used, so you may be slowed down if using a lot of data. 

This could give a variation between a phone and mobile broadband device.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

0Legacy
  • 17 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The 4G Dongle is my backup internet it hardly gets used but as low and lower as 2Mb its not a good deal to have.

I mean does my 4G dongle connect to the same tower network as my phone for 4G? its like they use give priority for phones over dongles.

Message 5 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@0Legacy 

Yes it connects to the same network as the phone, uses the same infrastructure, it is just the APN which is different, which is how o2 (and mobile Networks) route the data. 

I have never had a problem using a phone sim in a mifi/dongle for a short period of time, as really its the same as using your phone as a hotspot. 

If you is a phone sim for a long time in a Mbb device, then o2 will take action..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 10

0Legacy
  • 17 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Its like O2 got around a table and had three decisions.

1. Give priority for phones over dongles

2. Give priority for dongles over phones

3. Give equal priority

Message 7 of 10

0Legacy
  • 17 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I emailed off to O2 but then found there are two types of 4G 4G and 4G+

https://recombu.com/mobile/article/3g-vs-4g-vs-4g-plus-lte-advanced-mobile-phone-data-internet-speed...

So really I want a 4G+ dongle but I can't find one so I'm guessing that because of how much power 4G+ needs? can find routers

Message 8 of 10

0Legacy
  • 17 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And their you have it o2 need to stop selling 4G devices thats not 4G+

I went and got me a NETGEAR 4G Router MR2100 not sure if the o2 tower I connect too has a high end 4G+ to match this router but want the best I could get thinking G4+ will be around for some time. After some SIM surgery to make it fit (it works ok what more do you want) at time of posting without antennas that I may get later I get over 45Mb down thats a big improvement over 2Mb would of liked a little more can run 2160p 30ftp fine at 60ftp it can buffer a bit but this is at 8pm so I might see more speed later on to night.

Message 9 of 10

0Legacy
  • 17 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So why does a o2 pay as you go SIM in a Sony Xperia 5 II go as fast as 70Mb on 4G+ (yes wifi was disabled) yet a higher end NETGEAR 4G Router MR2100 spec 4G+ can only hit 45Mb on pay monthly at best with antennas.

Message 10 of 10