cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplicity SIM in Pay & Go phones

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Simplicity SIM and my current mobile has finally died.

Can anyone tell me whether I can use my Simplicity SIM in any O2 Pay and Go phone, or are they locked for use with pay and go SIMs only?
The O2 shop doesn't seem to keen on advising whether my SIM will work in a Pay and Go phone.

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 87372 Posts
  • 596 Topics
  • 5309 Solutions
Yes your sim will work in o2 P&G phones. This is why they have sim only deals, great deals but you use your own phone whether it's contract or P&G.
2020-Awards-jonsie5695219-2

O2 Social Media

SM IconsTwitter

Instagram

Facebook

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've bought lots of o2 PAYG handsets over the years and put my contract SIM in. The beauty of buying PAYG phones is that they're subsidised by o2 and therefore cheaper than buying SIM free, but of course you're limited to o2's range of handsets.

As for locking phones, this can only be done to a provider, not a payment method. So any 02 PAYG, SIM free or properly unlocked phones will accept both contract and PAYG SIMs.

SV
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've bought lots of o2 PAYG handsets over the years and put my contract SIM in. The beauty of buying PAYG phones is that they're subsidised by o2 and therefore cheaper than buying SIM free, but of course you're limited to o2's range of handsets.
As for locking phones, this can only be done to a provider, not a payment method. So any 02 PAYG, SIM free or properly unlocked phones will accept both contract and PAYG SIMs.
SV

Whilst its true that an O2 postpay SIM will work in an O2 pay and go, it isn't true to say that phones can only be locked to a provider.

A phone may be locked to:
Use in a particular country
A particular network
A particular service provider
A particular type of tariff
A particular SIM

Do a Google for GID lock for further information.

In this country its rare for a phone to be locked to anything other than a network or service provider. (Many years ago Vodafone handsets were GID locked to pay as you go)
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "only". I meant "locked to a provider" but "not a payment method".

SV
Message 5 of 5