cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplicity SIM and changing handsets

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning!

On 17th May I'm due to switch over to O2 Simplicity ultd 12M 5GB 4G tariff. I'm currently using a HTC One X but over the next few months I'm going to switch to another HTC model or wait for the new iPhone in September.

Other than needing different sized SIM cards, will that contract type work in both iPhones and HTC phones? When browsing the Simplicity tariffs I noticed they ask customer to differentiate between iPhones and other smartphones, but then ultimately the offers are exactly the same tariff...

Thanks,

Kir.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning @Anonymous and Welcome to the forum.

If you pop into an O2 shop when your ready they will transfer your tariff and mobile number onto the correct sized SIM card for your phone type.

Or you can walk out with one and perform the swapmysim at home via this online form http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk

Make sure you ask for a monthly contract blank SIM card.

Either way it takes from around 10
Minutes to 24 hours to fully settle.

Turning the phone off and on or airplane mode off and on helps the reset of the connection.

If you decide to start using an iPhone then all you need to do is contact Cs on 202 to ask them to put you on an idata setting.

When you insert the sim you should get all the various set up texts.

If not text ACTIVE to 2020, save the settings and turn the phone off and on or use airplane mode.

Here is a self help thread about connecting an iPhone to o2's Data Service.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/544210#U544210

More on Apn Settings

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning @Anonymous and Welcome to the forum.

If you pop into an O2 shop when your ready they will transfer your tariff and mobile number onto the correct sized SIM card for your phone type.

Or you can walk out with one and perform the swapmysim at home via this online form http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk

Make sure you ask for a monthly contract blank SIM card.

Either way it takes from around 10
Minutes to 24 hours to fully settle.

Turning the phone off and on or airplane mode off and on helps the reset of the connection.

If you decide to start using an iPhone then all you need to do is contact Cs on 202 to ask them to put you on an idata setting.

When you insert the sim you should get all the various set up texts.

If not text ACTIVE to 2020, save the settings and turn the phone off and on or use airplane mode.

Here is a self help thread about connecting an iPhone to o2's Data Service.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/544210#U544210

More on Apn Settings
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144327 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, your contact will work on any phone, just get the correct size sim as above.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it's not a problem it doesn't cost nothing to change between smartphone and iphone data plans it's just so that it works correctly
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all,

Thanks very much for your help - problem solved slight_smile

Kir

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144327 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You're welcome and thanks for the update slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad we helped @Anonymous

Take care.

slight_smile
Message 7 of 9

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Data should work fine on iPhone with non-iPhone data plan and vice versa, though I found tethering wouldn't work on the iPhone until I swapped to iPhone specific data (no extra charge). If you don't use data tethering this won't be a problem though.
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144327 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

There are a few other iPhone features that won't work without idata and the apn is different to.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9