Did you mean: 

Sim swap issue and bad advice from o2 shop

CaatCt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can someone please help ?

I called my local O2 shop on the morning of 3rd November.

They confirmed they had an iPhone 14 Pro 256gb available for a contract upgrade so I visited later that day.

I wanted a 36 month contract with 150gb data which was showing online as £33.58 for the phone plus £30.99 for the contract so £64.57 monthly total.

I am moving from the iPhone X so also needed a replacement 5g sim.

Unfortunately my number is on the 360 system to which shop staff have no access so they were unable to process the upgrade.

They rang customer service/online sales but were unable to arrange a direct sale with click n collect for me to access the phone they had in stock.

I asked if there was any other way to proceed suggesting a new contract then swapping in my original number.

The staff said the only way would be to pay for the phone in full and sign up to a rolling 30 day contract with 2gb data at £18pm which could then be cancelled after the 14 day cooling off period.

They also gave me a blank 5g sim saying to text “swap” to 20220 to have my existing number added to it which would leave my existing “out of contract” 100gb data, unlimited calls & texts package unchanged.

The swap text failed and I called 202, as instructed, to be told that the swap couldn’t be completed as that blank sim wasn’t registered to my account.

So I asked if we could use the sim associated with the new £18 2gb temporary contract, and if the package associated with my existing number would transfer over with it.

Initially the response was yes so I setup the phone using this new SIM card.

Unfortunately when I returned to customer service to complete this number swap I was told that the swap would cancel my existing 100gb package and just leave the £18 rolling 30 day 2gb that I was intending to cancel.

Apparently what the shop staff should have done was to set up the new contract exactly as I wanted for my upgrade then the sim swap would have brought my existing number onto the new contract.

Consequently on 5th November I raised a complaint that I had paid out £1,209 when I didn’t need to and that I was now having to request and await delivery of a new 5g sim registered to my account to be able to transfer my existing number.

It’s now the 13th, 10 days after I purchased the phone, and I’m still waiting for the new sim, 202 calls aren’t being answered and there’s no online or App chat available.

Can this be resolved to put my existing number and service package onto a new 5gb sim WITHIN THE NEXT 3 DAYS or so I need to return everything for a full refund then place an online order for the full upgrade package ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Carol

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6620 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

As we are all customers here all we can do is tag and Account Advisor who is on duty tomorrow morning

@O2Sarah can you help @CaatCt Thanks

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 5

CaatCt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you

Message 3 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36026 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Tagging in @O2Sarah- who is on tomorrow morning, @Enlli 👍

@CaatCt - keep an eye on your Private Messages in the morning, as some private details will be needed to move your request on.

Message 4 of 5

O2Sarah-
  • 689 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @pgn 

@CaatCt I will send you a private message so we can look into this.

Message 5 of 5