cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim for new phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the last month of my contract so have been on the lookout for a new phone. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2 on contract with o2, and have just pulled the trigger on an S4 from mobiles.co.uk., also on an o2 contract.

My question is, what will I need to do to have my current number transferred to the new phone? Will o2 simply send me a new micro-sim with my number on it?  

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144141 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
If this is a new contract you will now have 2 contracts so you need to call O2 on 202 and give notice on your current account to close in 30 days time.
Help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...
You can still transfer your number via CS either way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144141 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
If this is a new contract you will now have 2 contracts so you need to call O2 on 202 and give notice on your current account to close in 30 days time.
Help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...
You can still transfer your number via CS either way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for the replies.

It's a new account, so I guess I'll get a new sim with a new number when the phone arrives.

I'll get onto CS to close the current account and transfer the number as soon as the phone arrives.

Will I be charged for the 30 days even though I'm staying with o2?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @Anonymous , if I understood it correctly you want to keep the old number and use it with the new phone. 

You need to ring 202 so they can do a duplicate account transfer. They will take the old number transfer it to the new contract. By doing that will cancel the old contact, so make sure the contract has runned out or u will get termination fees. By transferring the number to the new sim you wouldn't need a sim swap anymore and your old number takes over the new contract, so the new number that came with the phone will disappear.  

Did that make sense? 

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144141 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Will I be charged for the 30 days even though I'm staying with o2?

Technically yes, you should be as you have started a new account (if you had upgraded, no) but it will depend on the CS adviser you get on the phone as to how they process the changeover.....

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5