cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Only 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Firstly, a little unrelated, the live chat is as much use as a chocolate kettle.

Anyway, I'm soon to be a former Orange customer.  I've had enough of their lies/cheats/etc.  But that's a different story.

I have an almost brand new Galaxy S3 I'll be wanting to join O2 with, but I want 4G when it is available on O2 (whenever that is?).  If I get a SIM only deal now, will I be able to upgrade to 4G as soon as it's available or will I need to wait until my contract renews?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

If it's an EE S3 (i9305) it will run O2's 4G just fine. It covers multiple LTE bands, unlike the iPhone slight_smile

But just check its unlocked before you jump ship......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

O2 have not released any info yet for 4g launch but a 30 day sim only deal will allow you at end of each 30 days to upgrade, 12 months sim only need to do 9 months before upgrade.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

You also need to check your phone will run 4g on 02's network.

I have an iphone 5 that will run 4g on the ee network but not on the 02 network when they release it.

Gotta love the different bands !!!!

Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

If it's an EE S3 (i9305) it will run O2's 4G just fine. It covers multiple LTE bands, unlike the iPhone slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

Well thats good news from the OP.

Good Afternoon MI5.

Just need to get past the extra strain on battery and the probable higher tariffs !

Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thanks guys.

Any rumours about when 4G will be available?

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g

Your guess is as valid as ours dude !

Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 'legacy' Simplicity sim only contract with 300 mins and unlimited data and texts.  My iPhone 5 was bought direct from Apple so it's 4G enabled - just wondering if my plan will be updatable to 4G on the same terms or will I have to take out a whole new deal with limited data?  My daughters also have O2 simplicity sims at the same price but theirs are limited to 1GB despite paying the same as me.  My daughter recently received a text from O2 saying that she was going over her limit despite using her iPhone the same as she always has (only doing downloads on wifi etc) - I definitely don't want the same sort of hassle and find I'm out of data when I need it!

I'm fearing the worst - my previously good 3G service will deteriorate and I'll be effectively forced onto 4G on much reduced terms at a greater price!

Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Your iPhone 5 will not work on 02's 4G band they have chosen i'm afraid.

Its very unlikely they will upgrade your current unlimited 3G service to 4G unlimited.

Their are lots of tips on here and on the net about saving data.

One good tip I use is to turn off 3g and mobile data when I'm at home using wifi as the iPhone flicks from WiFi to 3g, when its in sleep mode to conserve battery power.

Some further tips.

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/spending_saving/2012/11/16/10_ways_to_cut_your_mobi...

Message 9 of 23

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Anyone wanting to upgrade to O2 will most probably lose their legacy unlimited data. Currently I have such a legacy tariff and I probably won't upgrade. At present I am quite happy on 3G as my tariff is ideal. The advent of 4G will not stop anyone using 3G and if you are happy with it, there is no reason to change.

Message 10 of 23