cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal indoor

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this seems a bit dense.. but bear with me. I live in SW London and my house in 400 metres away from the nearest cluster of O2 masts... 2 GSM and one 3G. I have suffered with variable call coverage since i moved into my new place (both indoor and on my street) and as such, often have to sprint down the street in order to get a service good enough to hear anyone. As well as poor reception, I suffer from dropped and missed calls, voicemails not being delivered and texts coming through hours later.

Do O2 masts operate at a weaker level than other operators? I have been told that the indoor problem is because of the materials my house is built with but my housemates (who are on Vodafone, T-mobile and Orange) all have perfect coverage in the house.

While O2 have been very understanding of the problem they keep using the same arguement that it must be the phone, or the sim... Ive replaced both twice and still no improvement. Another call to the complaints team has seen them offer me a £10 discount on the contract for six months and a review in 3 months to see if the situation is any better. Only if it hasnt improved will they consider letting me out of the contract... Weird or what?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would only be puzzling if the other transmitters were in exactly the same direction and place as the O2 site. If there is something physically blocking the signal then there is very little you or the network can do.
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this seems a bit dense.. but bear with me. I live in SW London and my house in 400 metres away from the nearest cluster of O2 masts... 2 GSM and one 3G. I have suffered with variable call coverage since i moved into my new place (both indoor and on my street) and as such, often have to sprint down the street in order to get a service good enough to hear anyone. As well as poor reception, I suffer from dropped and missed calls, voicemails not being delivered and texts coming through hours later.
Do O2 masts operate at a weaker level than other operators? I have been told that the indoor problem is because of the materials my house is built with but my housemates (who are on Vodafone, T-mobile and Orange) all have perfect coverage in the house.
While O2 have been very understanding of the problem they keep using the same arguement that it must be the phone, or the sim... Ive replaced both twice and still no improvement. Another call to the complaints team has seen them offer me a £10 discount on the contract for six months and a review in 3 months to see if the situation is any better. Only if it hasnt improved will they consider letting me out of the contract... Weird or what?

I do hate the way that financial sweeteners are used to solve problems. It is either indicative of the reason for the majority of complaints or at least how networks perceive our reason for complaint.

A deal is a deal in my opinion and I would never complain with a view to saving cash. I complain when a system or individual is not functioning, similar to the OP in this case. Does the CRS really expect a £10 per month sweetener (for 6 months) and a review in 3 months will satisfy a technical issue?

aliyoung99, you need to do a little more of your own evidence gathering over the next couple of months or so. Keep a log of every poor service occasion from now on, giving times and dates. I would endeavour to find another, totally different model of handset, either from a family or friend and see how you go with that. I seriously doubt it is anything to do with the SIM.

Sometimes being too close to a transmitter can be as unreliable as far away. I would doubt that your house construction has much to do with your problems. My home in France has two feet thick random stone walls, 24mm double glazing, 48 huge oak beams, an enormous chestnut roof construction and three floors. Perfect signal even in my pocket.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, the weird world of comms signalling. I had exactly the same problem with Orange, the phone would have top reception everywhere i went, except in my house, the back garden - fine, the front garden - fine, but go in through the front door and blam, loss of signal to the extent that the same prolems you have had occurred.

The real kicker though, anyone else visiting me who had a phone with a different provider would get full signal inside my house, one friend even had the same phone, full signal on thiers, bordering on none for mine?????????????

My resolution, to cancel Orange at the end of my contract and go with O2, full signal everywhere and 3G at that!

I don't want to get moderated for advising you to cancel your current provider and seek service with another, so i wont (read between the lines though) wink

Good luck.
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
If only it was that easy... Muggins here opted to sign up to a 24 month contract (something i will never ever do again)so have to like it and lump it.

Signal was tickety boo in my old pad... but having to move house in November has left me with the current predicament (even though O2 told me it was an excellent 3G coverage area)I've even had one O2 advisor tell me that i shouldnt move house during an mobile contract... err.

Two of my housemates were with o2, but luckily were on a month to month rolling contract so they were able to terminate straight away.. I'm nicely locked in till May 2011 and there is nowt i can do...arghhhhh!!! Looks like its time for a 30 day sim with another provider! 😞
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you move to a new property or one that's been refurbished in recent years. Or there is one in the way of the transmitter then the insulation will cut the signal down to almost nothing.
The worst offender is plasterboard with metallic insulation.
Its the same sort of problem that has blighted TV reception for many people.
Re-siting the mast will cause the problem elsewhere. So there isn't a great deal that can be done.
If its any consolation, there will be people on other networks with the same problem, perhaps just around the corner.
What I'd like to see is a way out of contracts, if someone moves and can't get a signal. Subject to the network recovering the cost of any subsidy. Ofcom are considering the formula (remaining value of contract) - (any costs that can be ameliorated). This could mean that the network need to take into account their ability to re-sell the contract.
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
If only it was that easy... Muggins here opted to sign up to a 24 month contract (something i will never ever do again)so have to like it and lump it.
Signal was tickety boo in my old pad... but having to move house in November has left me with the current predicament (even though O2 told me it was an excellent 3G coverage area)I've even had one O2 advisor tell me that i shouldnt move house during an mobile contract... err.
Two of my housemates were with o2, but luckily were on a month to month rolling contract so they were able to terminate straight away.. I'm nicely locked in till May 2011 and there is nowt i can do...arghhhhh!!! Looks like its time for a 30 day sim with another provider! 😞

The two year contracts are cripplers, no doubt. I am seriously giving consideration to laying out £390 for a new unlocked HTC Desire and signing up for the best 30 day Simplicity-esque deal. It works out very similar money on her planned £45 per month outlay, except there is no need for a somewhat choking contract.

Stories like this make me wonder why I bother with the "free" phone deals and tie myself into a level of service. Yes, there is the initial outlay, but once it is done it is done and you can walk away anytime.
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you move to a new property or one that's been refurbished in recent years. Or there is one in the way of the transmitter then the insulation will cut the signal down to almost nothing.
The worst offender is plasterboard with metallic insulation.
Its the same sort of problem that has blighted TV reception for many people.
Re-siting the mast will cause the problem elsewhere. So there isn't a great deal that can be done.
If its any consolation, there will be people on other networks with the same problem, perhaps just around the corner.
What I'd like to see is a way out of contracts, if someone moves and can't get a signal. Subject to the network recovering the cost of any subsidy. Ofcom are considering the formula (remaining value of contract) - (any costs that can be ameliorated). This could mean that the network need to take into account their ability to re-sell the contract.

Some good stuff in this post, look forward to it.

And whilst on the subject...... my 2 feet stone ground floor walls were, drylined, insulated with Actis Super 9, boarded with marine plasterboard onto a metal studding....... still got maximum signal. Put simply, excuses are excuses. If the signal is there, it's there. If it isn't, then O2 and every other network should be negotiating with the customer, to a satisfactory conclusion. Offering petty limited discounts is simply not good enough and O2 staff telling you that you shouldn't move house during a contract would probably make me very, very angry.

This hard line taken by networks is very tiresome at times and I personally would fight them everytime in a Court if this was to happen to me..... particularly if they are indicating full coverage provided on their checker.

aliyoung99, make sure you print and screen capture their coverage checker.

Just a thought, you say your other two housemates got shot of O2, what handsets where they using What do you use?
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ancientferguson

im currently using a tocco. Housemate one had a sony ericcson and housemate 2 had a nokia express music thingy ma jig... Neither of which could hold a signal. Housemate 2 has since gone with Vodafone and has an iphone. and surprise surprise - it holds the signal like a dream.. Something tells me that O2 arent telling me the whole story. I've been told today that there are plans for extra masts in my area but with no time scale.. i just have to sit tight and hope it happens sooner rather than later!

I've almost given up with the whole issue to be honest with you all. I did ask the customer service advisor to arrange for the web map to be updated to reflect the variable call coverage in my area but he couldnt... (Although i think having this ability may show OFCOM that O2 don't actually fufil the coverage obligations as written in the terms of their 3g license!)
Message 9 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Note the webmap says on street coverage and has a t&C regarding its output
The levels of service represented on the Current and Future Coverage maps are computer predictions of the current operational cellular service. The levels are indicative of where it should be possible, in a variety of circumstances and to certain company standards, to make and receive calls on the O2 network. Where 'Very Good' service is predicted it should be possible, in most circumstances, to use a mobile in a vehicle and, depending on the structure, within certain buildings. 'Variable' coverage is shown as a guide of where the strength of the cellular signal may fluctuate and hence affect the level of service experienced.
As with any terrestrial based radio system, the strength of the cellular signal that a mobile relies on to operate may be affected by vehicle and building structures, atmospheric conditions and topographical features (such as tunnels, cuttings etc). O2 recommends the use of a hands-free kit with associated external antenna for use in a vehicle.
The Future Coverage prediction shows the current operational cellular network combined with the predicted service to be provided by new cell sites scheduled for activation in the near future. This is based on a predicted list of cell sites due to go live 3 months from the coverage generatation date. The coverage generation date is printed on the coverage map.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 21