cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling numbers?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have O2 been selling their database again? I'm getting quite annoyed at having random cold calling companies ring me.

I never give my mobile number to anyone who shouldn't have it, so the only people who know it are O2 and people i know.

I had this problem earlier this year, and wrote to their head office, only to receive a standard reply and no explanation, when i wrote back asking for compensation (the company called 6 times during the busiest part of my shift, and then early in the morning before i was awake...), i heard nothing.

I now live in China, but i keep my UK mobile updated so that i can still contact people by text (can't call international numbers because of the China Mobile restrictions), and this morning, i was woken up by a cold calling company at 4am.

How much does O2 sell individual numbers for?
Is there a direct email address for Head Office?
I tried filling in the 'contact us' webform, but it failed. I guess its because i haven't called out for 3 months due to the fact i can't.

I'm a really unhappy customer right now. O2...get your house in order and stop annoying customers!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 don't sell your number. I believe you have made an incorrect assumption based on a false understanding.
Message 2 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
1 Register your number with the telephone prference service to prevent sales and marketing calls.

2 as stated o2 do not sell the database the cold callers know number ranges in use and use computers to auto dial them.

3 if you want to complain higher search on here for complaints review service
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got in touch with the complaints review service.

I don't believe that databases are not sold...sorry about that...Last time i had this problem, the company cold calling specifically told me that they had got my number from O2 on a database sold to them.

I have been trying to call the company involved this time, but they are constantly 'busy'. I really hope i don't get another call at 4 in the morning.

I am already registered with the TPS, but it doesnt make any difference if your number's on a database that's been sold. It just makes them take you off their list when you tell them...after they've called you.
Message 4 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
re tps they have to screen before calling, you can complain direct to tps about the callers via there online form
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't believe that databases are not sold...sorry about that...Last time i had this problem, the company cold calling specifically told me that they had got my number from O2 on a database sold to them.

And you believed them?!
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is illegal for your number to be sold in this way, the case of T-Mobile employees apparently selling customer information is evidence of this. http://www.bitterwallet.com/t-mobile-st ... lers/21468

As one poster has said, these companies have computers which auto dial specific ranges of numbers which may be a reason why you are getting them. O2 the matter of people either claiming to work for or claiming to have obtained your details from O2 very seriously as this sort of thing can be damaging for the trust customers have or the reputation of any company. Register your number with tps (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/) and this should stop this from happening. It's sort of like being ex directory and the companies who call you when you are registered with tps can face serious penalties
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just one point about TPS, that only applies to companies calling from within the UK. Overseas call centres can ignore the data of who doesn't want calls.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just one point about TPS, that only applies to companies calling from within the UK. Overseas call centres can ignore the data of who doesn't want calls.

....And guess where all the calls I receive on my TPS registered numbers come from??? :robotmad: It seems to be a growth industry.. UK companies farming out calls to overseas Call centres... and of course no one seems to want to allow us the option of filtering out this nuisance traffic by blocking incoming calls from overseas.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course O2 would never admit to selling data, and I think its unlikely that they even did. However, that doesnt stop someone within the company acting alone and stealing your info. Maybe even someone from a rival company who steals the info and sells it on saying its from O2 to damage the company. And to whoever thinks this seems far fetched? Wake up!

And as for the cold calls, Previous posters have pointed out the use of a random dial computer system. If its only sales calls I think you have a case. If its for surveys or non sales related then Im sorry, they are allowed to use a cold call random number database, and like you said, they only add your number ON the list if you ask them to. This means their database will catch your number before it gets routed to an employee's headset.
Message 10 of 10