Did you mean: 

Selling contract phone

Jo89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

I have seen lots of people asking this question but I’ve read the terms and conditions so just trying to understand what it means. 
Are we able to sell phones under contract, the T&Cs say: 

if you dispose of the device before you have fully repaid the amount of credit this does not effect your obligation to repay in full the credit owed. 
It also refers to the contract as credit given to purchase the device ?

surely this means the device is yours to do as you please ? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144444 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27679 Solutions

@Jo89 

As long as you keep paying for it, you can do as you please.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Jo89
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

There’s so many different opinions on this matter isn’t there ? I’ve read a few which say that the phone isn’t legally yours but surely as the above is written in the T&Cs then this is highlighting you have borrowed credit to purchase a phone and you can “dispose” of the phone but still need to pay ? 

Message 3 of 9

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

I saw this answered on the Virgin Community and one of their advisors clearly stated they could sell the phone provide the payments were kept up

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144444 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27679 Solutions

@Jo89 wrote:

There’s so many different opinions on this matter isn’t there ? I’ve read a few which say that the phone isn’t legally yours but surely as the above is written in the T&Cs then this is highlighting you have borrowed credit to purchase a phone and you can “dispose” of the phone but still need to pay ? 

Yes @Jo89 

Exactly that as you say and I have done so in the past and will be doing so again in the next week or so.

To avoid scammers on eBay I usually sell through CEX in the box with all accessories and get good payouts.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Jo89
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Are you with O2 ? I was looking at music magpie but their website states you can’t sell phones under contract. I have looked at CEX but they offer £50 less. 
I don’t know whether to just try music magpie 

Message 6 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10197 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Jo89 

I have done this before with o2, and as long as you pay it off no worries, I have used Music Magpie, CEX, but my favourite now adays is Spring..

And never had a problem....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144444 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27679 Solutions

@Jo89 wrote:

Are you with O2 ? 

Yes I am @Jo89 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5777 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Jo89 

I have used Mazuma Mobile on three occasions and have found them fair and very quick ; but that is just my personal experience. 👍

My dealings with CEX have always been positive, both as a seller and a buyer, although I do not recall ever selling a mobile 'phone to them ! 😀 

Message 9 of 9