Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

millik
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had a call from a recognised o2 number 03448090202. The woman said I was chosen for a 40% discount on my tariff. She told me I would receive 2 txts which I did and it came up on my phone as from o2. The first one stated the usual *FRAUD ALERT - MUST READ* bla bla bla. The 2nd one gave me a code  to enter to retrieve my account. To check this was genuine I asked her what was my name and account number to which she stated she could not provide that information under privacy regulations. I told her I did not want to continue the conversation unless she could verify who I was as this is a security situation so I hung up. My tariff is extremely low to begin with so unsure why they would target me. I still can't believe this was a genuine call but if it was, o2 need to get their act together as cold calling like this is not welcome and they should provide some kind of verification it is genuine. All I can say is beware.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36449 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

Yes, it is a scam, you were wise to challenge them.

O2 won't call you, you have to call them - and they take you through security before looking at your account.

Lucky escape, @millik!

If you feel like reporting this, O2's advice is all at this page here.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36449 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

Yes, it is a scam, you were wise to challenge them.

O2 won't call you, you have to call them - and they take you through security before looking at your account.

Lucky escape, @millik!

If you feel like reporting this, O2's advice is all at this page here.

Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Many posts about this scam offering 40% off

You did right to not divulge any info

O2 will never ask you for the OTP sent to your phone

Consider changing your password as this is an attempted fraud

Message 3 of 5

millik
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies. I was sure it was a scam. The thing is it seems quite genuine as the number displayed is an o2 official number, they use the exact wording as if an official message from o2 but I guess that is easy to do. I have become paranoid about cold calls as I get them on my landline daily. I have 100 number memory block and it's almost full! Anyway thanks once again.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145001 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@millik 

It's already been reported to O2 but @Martin-O2 here's another one.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5