Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam upgrade or legit?

Hahn24
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was called from 01164390273 went through all my details and offered me an upgrade. Clearly had access to my account as knew my data usage etc. also went through all the blurb, offered me a good upgrade with no upfront fees. Took some bank details but not enough for bank fraud. Got no confirmation which worried me and o2 say it’s not their number. Is it a franchise? Or a v strange scam?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It appears to be a 3rd party seller acting on behalf of O2

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01164390273 

However, we always advise people to  NEVER accept an upgrade or new contract from any cold caller. You could end up with a type of contract you neither want or need.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Hi @Hahn24
This is a scam im afraid, its not difficult to guess a data package someone is one

o2 will not call you to upgrade and offer you a deal and certainly not from a Leicester Phone number.

I would ensure all your passwords are updated and this can be reported to o2

Full details are here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

Telemarketing for a specfic company can be from any part of the UK if, as indicated, they are 3rd party resellers acting on behalf of O2. Called 'Trusted Partners' although they are often anything but.

Also Who Called Me stated

According to our user's reports, there is a high possibility that the telephone number 01164390273 that called you truly belongs to O2. Currently, we do not have any official confirmation, so we advise you to be cautious when speaking with the caller.

If you have access to genuine sources confirming that the number is real and trusted then please get in touch with the appropriate info.

I DID point out that it's never a good idea to take any contract or upgrade from a cold caller

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 4