cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam callers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recieved 2 phone calls- on the 4th and the 5th of April this week- one was a 01908 number and the other was an 0843 number. They only rang for about 5 seconds before hanging up, so I did not answer the calls or ring them back. I decided to block both numbers on my phone as I have been told from friends that they are suspected spam calls that call you and if you answer leave you hanging on the phone - next bill you will recieve is in excess of £300 thanks to these unwanted calls. 

My question is- seeing as I have had this number for a few years now and I only give this number out to certain people I trust- how do they manage to obtain my number? It's a vast invasion of privacy plus the added cost of a very expensive phone bill if you get scammed! 

Any advice on what to do next please- I can't contact 02 online for a chat to report this unless you fork out more money for an upgrade etc. Do I send a letter to Head Office to make them aware of what has happened plus make a complaint about how my privacy and my bank balance is compromised as I am apprehensive about my next monthly bill!

Any input would be welcome!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
First check your contact/marketing preferences are correct.
Click on your phone number.
At the top below the main o2 banner are a number of drop downs, including Manage My Device. Hover over that and then choose Contact Preferences.
3rd party offers is probably the one you want to be off as this is when o2 allow "select partners" to have your details.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions
Its quite easy to get a spreadsheet, and put every number say from 07xxx 000001 to 07xxx 999999 and then get an auto dialler to do the work for you. No mobile number is private as they can be easily be guessed.

If you don't answer and don't return the call you can't be charged.

The scammers will expect to get a return rate of 1%..

Not sure why reporting to o2 would cost you money for an upgrade... and I wouldn't worry about your bank account being comprimised...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
First check your contact/marketing preferences are correct.
Click on your phone number.
At the top below the main o2 banner are a number of drop downs, including Manage My Device. Hover over that and then choose Contact Preferences.
3rd party offers is probably the one you want to be off as this is when o2 allow "select partners" to have your details.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
You're panicking over nothing.
Block, delete, ignore - job done!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

As above block/ignore and all will be fine.

Message 5 of 5