cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS from abroad & misleading bill

Anonymous
Not applicable
It says I have sent 508 SMS messages. I have 1500 free. I know sending an SMS from outside the UK uses 4 messages.

Why doesn't the real amount show on the bill ?

I used the balance checker when I was outside the UK after sending messages and the balance never changed ??

I am fed up nw and 150% leaving when my contract expires soon.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apart from some emotive language you haven't said why you feel they ripped you off.
If you sent 508 messages then, with an allowance of 1500, 133 messages would have been charged at international rate.
As it says in the What to do before going abroad instructions, it can take some time for the roaming network to pass details of your usage onto O2.
Is the problem that you didn't realise you had gone over your allowance?
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is, the correct balance never shows up on your online bill or when you send a text to the balance enquiry, so you never know you have gone over your allowance.

I work outside of the UK a lot so this happens quite a lot.
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Every time you send a message to the 21202 balance checker it says this at the end "UK calls usually appear within 12 hours, it may take longer for international or data calls"

It can take up to 12 hours for calls and texts to update on 21202/online if you're in the UK and technically up to 6 weeks if you're aborad (this is how long the foreign network has to get the data to o2, not how long it takes o2 to deal with it).

Last time I was in Spain and Germany it was taking about 2-3 days for my SMS balance to update.

So it's just how it works when you're abroad, have a friend on Vodafone passport and they find it's the same, there's a delay on the foreign network getting the data to your home supplier.

So...the bills are correct, you're made aware of the delay, other networks are she same/very similar. I'm not seeing how o2 is at fault here.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
So why won't it show the correct balance on my bill ?

o2 know when I've gone over my balance and I can see when I started getting charged for SMS messages on my bill. If o2 know when to start charging me for sending an SMS, surely they can put the correct balance on my bill aswell ??
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, it doesn't work like that.

If the o2 billing system knows about a text, call etc then it will display it and charge accordingly.

Just because something appears on your bill for a certain date/time doesn't mean o2 knew about it right then and there and were not showing it to the customer. The time/date you see on the bill is not when o2 got the info, it's when the foreign operator says you were using the service. o2 may not have got that piece of information for days or even weeks.

It takes a long time for the data from abroad to show up, hence the amount of time it takes for 21202/online balance check to update.

When it's finally applied to your bill it will of course have the correct date/timestamp on it.

A good example of the time it takes for the data to come through is you will quite often have mobile customers who have been abroad with roaming charges back dated to when they were away appearing on their next 2 even 3 bills, all with the times and dates showing when the services were used but all on later bills due to the delay in data transfer.
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, but it seems a bit slow and 1970's, update your software.

I still find it a bit misleading and will be leaving o2 in June aynway

Cheers
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
But, as explained, its the foreign networks that take their time not O2. So you will be in exactly the same position with another network.
In fact, some networks take even longer to update their balance checkers for UK use (up to 72 hours), and allow the foreign network 12weeks to present charges, so you may find yourself worse off.
Its obviously your right to change networks, but at least make a decision based on a complete understanding of the situation.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, but it seems a bit slow and 1970's, update your software.

Please, read what has been posted properly. As I said earlier this isn't the time it takes o2 to process the information or that they're holding it back, it's how long the foreign network takes to get the information to o2. It isn't instant and that isn't o2's fault. It's also the way the other networks operate and as prking said some allow even longer for the data to get through.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just spent 5 months in France and always blew my 1000 text allowance to pieces. I can't think of my 21202 balance being more than 24hrs out of date, ever.

So, what you are saying is that these 133 text messages you are complaining about occurred whilst you were waiting for O2 to get their updates from foreign networks?

If you are sending 133 texts in this 24 hr or so period, whilst abroad, knowing that you are using 4 times from your allowance, would seem somewhat beyond the realms of believable. Or have I just got mixed with what point you are making?
Message 10 of 10