Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS - 30 Character Limit

KFM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm a little confused with the character limit on SMSs. I'm only able to send SMSs with only 30 characters, anything more and it just won't send, and gives a "Couldn't send message" error.

I have tried with different phones and tried changing some relevant settings etc., but nothing seems to make the SMSs work with the usual 160 character limit.

Has anyone on this community had this or similar issue? If so, any steps to resolve would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123177 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@KFM 

The only info we have on SMS and MMS is here

Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 23

KFM
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for responding, @Cleoriff - unfortunately, that guide does not have any information pertaining to the issue I've got.

Message 3 of 23

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6702 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

Have you tried a different messaging app? 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 23

japitts
Level 4: Observant
  • 90 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

What phone are you using, and is this on the stock text messaging app?

Message 5 of 23

KFM
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, for example WhatsApp works perfectly fine.

Message 6 of 23

KFM
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've tried my O2 sim in Samsung A21S, Note 20 Ultra and Note 9, and yes the stock text messaging app is the one which has this issue.

Message 7 of 23

KFM
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I actually thought it was the phone, that's why I tried different phones - the 30-character limit is across all the phones I've tried - which led me believe that it's something to do with the O2 sim rather than the handset in use.

It's weird to think that a sim would impose such a limit though.

Message 8 of 23

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6702 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

If using Samsung Messages try Messages from Google

Or Vice Versa 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 9 of 23

KFM
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Enlli - I was using Samsung Messages, but as per your suggestion, I just tried Google Messages now, and it's got the same 30-character limit, 31 or more it wouldn't send the message.

It was a good shout though, because Google Messages shows a more descriptive error i.e., "Can't send message with O2 - error 0", which actually directly points to a problem with O2.

It is, however, weird still that I've got another O2 sim on exactly the same monthly contract, and that doesn't seem to have this issue.

Message 10 of 23