Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM onlly upgrade

Derek99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had the same SIM only deal for a long time so I'm paying over the odds compared to current market deals.

O2 SIM only deals do not appear as an option if I view tariff changes via myaccount.

I guess that means that the SIM only deals visible on the O2 shop are only available to new customers & existing customers can only "upgrade" to more expensive contracts. Is that correct?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6805 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

Check Uswitch and other comparison sites for O2 deals. There are some really good ones out there. 

Will mean taking out a new contract and number, but then you can migrate your old number across which will close your old deal.

Only downside is there will be a fresh credit check, but probably be worth it.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Enlli
  • 6805 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

Check Uswitch and other comparison sites for O2 deals. There are some really good ones out there. 

Will mean taking out a new contract and number, but then you can migrate your old number across which will close your old deal.

Only downside is there will be a fresh credit check, but probably be worth it.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You don't want to change tariff

Choose UPGRADE

The sim only deals will show there

Message 3 of 7

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hi @Derek99 were you able to determine whether taking out a new contract or upgrading was the better option?

Message 4 of 7

Amg63
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For what it’s worth considering… the new switch up deal is actually a really good offer. If I read the T&Cs correctly, even on the 36 month contract, after 24 months you can cancel the airtime plan. So in theory the most you have to pay the airtime plan for is 2 years, and while it’s more than sim only, spreading the phone cost over 36 months with free upgrades balances it out. 

Message 5 of 7

Enlli
  • 6805 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

@Amg63 wrote:

For what it’s worth considering… the new switch up deal is actually a really good offer. If I read the T&Cs correctly, even on the 36 month contract, after 24 months you can cancel the airtime plan. So in theory the most you have to pay the airtime plan for is 2 years, and while it’s more than sim only, spreading the phone cost over 36 months with free upgrades balances it out. 

The maximum contract term allowed by OFCOM is 24 months. This is the same for ALL networks even if they sell handsets on 36 month deals.

Personally, I would not go for an airtime contract over 12 months at the moment. Longer and you will go through 2 or 3 yearly price hikes, and if that remains inflation plus 3.9% then that's a lot of money.

Message 6 of 7

Amg63
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah thanks for clarifying. I agree on the airtime plan length, but because o2 will spread the cost of the device over 36 months at basically 0% and upgrade it  free it saves you the hassle of finding your own place to sell it when you upgrade. Effectively you can have the new iPhone 14 pro for a year for only £390. 

Message 7 of 7