Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

TrevTheBev
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When I was in Mallorca last month, I went to put Data Roaming on when I landed and my phone gave me a warning "The carrier will charge you a fee after you turn on international data roaming. Turn on anyway?"

To prevent unnecessary and expensive charges, I cancelled out of this and only used my phone at the hotel using their wifi.

I'm confused with this as I thought I could roam with 02 free of charge and would like to know the correct answer as I am off to Tenerife in February and don't want to have the same issue.

Kind Regards,

TrevTheBev

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36014 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Both O2 UK PAYG and Pay Monthly/Contract phones include texts, calls and up to 25GB data per billing cycle for up to 63days as standard in the O2 Europe Zone. This includes islands, such as the Balearics (Mallorca, Ibiza, etc) and the Canary Islands, @TrevTheBev - you would have received a txt from O2 confirming that upon landing.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Message 2 of 6

TrevTheBev
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for your quick reply PGN 👍

However, I do not recall getting a message from 02 on landing 🤔 Could this be because I switched my phone off on take off and then when I arrived at Mallorca, it would pick up the local network there[Whatever that was].

If what you say is correct, what is my best option when I land in Tenerife in February?

Regards,

TrevTheBev

Message 3 of 6

pgn
  • 36014 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Turn off airplane mode, enable roaming and roaming data, reboot and manually search for a network - you may find Movistar is the best. 5G coverage is good if you have a 5G capable handset, a recent O2 5G SIM and 5G is enabled on your O2 account. Good luck, @TrevTheBev.

Message 4 of 6

TrevTheBev
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks PGN.

I'll follow your advice next time 👌

Message 5 of 6

pgn
  • 36014 Posts