cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges overseas.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I recently went on holiday to Turkey and switched my phone on (Sony Experia) and in one day I racked up a £20 charge. I didn't do anything, no calls no text messages. My question is thus; is this normal and how can i stop these charges happening pls. I am going on holiday to Morocco on 26/11 for a week and I need to know if I'm likely to get clobbered again for just turning my phone on. Cheers
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to disable mobile data to stop the charges and just use wifi where possible.

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

and switch off your voicemail as calls that get through to that will be charged.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do i switch off my voicemail? Simple question but i'm not really a mobile phone addict?

Message 4 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

1750 turns it on and 1760 turns it off.

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/voicemail901/howtogetstarted

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the easiest way to avoid charges was to just switch the phone off! I did this all the time I was in the USA but still got charged for data etc. I don't understand how that can happen and Live Chat just tells me the Sim can't lie! I've been promised investigation reports three times, so have now gone the Complaints route & am awaiting a response. I was told that voicemail still runs even though it's switched off, but I didn't have any voicemails. I don't know how you can be charged when you have no usage. It's all a mystery so be careful!

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
So, are you saying that you never turned the phone on at all between leaving and returning to the UK?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
So, are you saying that you never turned the phone on at all between leaving and returning to the UK?

I did wonder the same. I would have expected that the poster would be checking to see if they had any missed calls or texts etc? If so, thats all that would have been required surely.....for apps to jump in and update?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just a handshake with a foreign network is enough - it doesn't have to be huge amounts of data consumed, but we don't now what the bill amount was or the bill breakdown so hard to say.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Hard to comment without knowing more but you would surely not take a phone with you that you didn't intend to switch on at some point.....?

Message 10 of 12