cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query regarding free wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable
On reading through these forums, I noticed that payandgo customers on text and web get free wifi access through the cloud and bt openzone, if they have certain phones. I have a sony ericsson xperia x8, which is on the list.
I am on BT for my home broadband, and have bt fon enabled on my hub. This broadcasts an additional bt openzone ssid in addition to the normal secured ssid.
When I connect my phone to the openzone ssid, I get the login page up in the browser, but there is no option for o2 customers to log on. The only options given are BT Broadband, BT Openzone, and BTFon.
Does the free wifi work with a btfon enabled homehub, or is it only commercial hotspots that this can be used with?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
The o2 free wifi is commercial openzone as you have said
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, regarding this subject, I'm sure it's been covered somewhere, but I can't find it & I'm getting conflicting info from 02 on-line chat/e-mail/shops etc!!! I am on Simplicity pay & go, with 500mb web & free wifi. This should link me to The Cloud & BT Openzone hotspots from the 02 directory? I can link to The Cloud everywhere, but cannot link to any BT Openzone spots. I was given various settings to try over several days, but now I have been told that BT Openzone will only work with the i-phone. Is this true? Has all the previous info been a waste of time? Can anyone out there link to BT Openzone, ie/ Starbucks Coffee etc, using a non i-phone handset? Thank U in advance. G. wink
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used bt openzone on my palm pre in a macdonalds with no trouble, so it's not just iPhones. When my phone found the network, it asked me for my mobile number, typed it in and bingo that was it. This is how it *should* work for everyone.
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Beaufighter, thanks for the info, but isn't McDonalds on "The Cloud"? I can access any Cloud no problem. BT Openzone sites ask for my mobile no. & then say "no. not registered, please contact 02" ?? 😞
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Beaufighter, thanks for the info, but isn't McDonalds on "The Cloud"? I can access any Cloud no problem. BT Openzone sites ask for my mobile no. & then say "no. not registered, please contact 02" ?? 😞

Not the one in Rotherham, as far as I know, but could be wrong on that. I'm sure I have used both this way but I no longer have the pre so I can't check, sorry.
Message 6 of 6