cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting Account Into Credit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Seeing as O2 don't seem to want customers to email them questions direct (nice customer service by the way!) I was hoping someone in here might be able to answer a question.

I currently pay my contract monthly by direct debit but I was wondering if it's possible to pay in advance using a debit/credit card.  If I was to cancel my DD and pay a lump sum of say £200, would this then sit as a credit on my account and my monthly bills be deducted until it ran out?  If so:

a) Can I do this online?  I found a page that was called 'make a payment' but there was no options to enter details etc.

b) What would happen when the credit ran down and there wasn't enough left to cover a bill completely, would I just get a reminder to pay the extra?

c) I know some companies charge extra for not having a DD set up, can't see anything on the website but does O2 do this?

d) Can I make payments to my account as and when or do I have to wait for a bill to be generated?

Sorry about all the questions, obviously I'd prefer to actually ask O2 themselves!

Many thanks for any advice you can give!

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I've just tried it and it worked for me, you must go to View my bill first.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the forum!!

This is my take on what I personally would think. I'm pretty sure a couple of other guys and gals will chip in also so the majority rule should probably be enforced!

There are a couple of O2 employees who frequent the boards some in an official capacity and some in a personal capacity. All are identifiable by there signatures.

So, moving swiftly on!

I would say that it is possible to pay in advance and then let it sit in the account as credit.

A) you should be able to make a payment online or through the MyO2 app which puts you through to the automated payment line.

B) Not sure you'd get a reminder but if you get paper bills it would be highlighted on there how much credit remains and what is due

C) I do not pay by DD and my bills are the same

D) Yes, you can pay via the automated payment line or online at anytime.

As I say these are my personal answers, I'm just a customer like you but that's my take on things.
Message 2 of 15

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you go to MyO2> View my bill, on the left you should see a "Payments" button and you can pay there.

You should still get a monthly text/email advising you when bills are due and you should be getting them now.

You can check in MyO2 each month for how much balance you have left.

There is no extra charge for this.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yeahb I saw that page earlier but when I go into it there is no option to make a payment.  It says that I can use this facility to make payments using debit/credit cards but there seems to be no way to actualy do this.

I wonder if this is beacuse I have a direct debit set up and my account it already up to date?  Perhaps if I was to cancel my DD and wait for my next bill to be created, I'd then be able to go to that page and overpay, effectively putting my account into credit?

Message 4 of 15

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I've just tried it and it worked for me, you must go to View my bill first.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok,

I was just being very dim, didn't notice the button at the bottom.  So, even though I currently don't owe anything, I can just make a payment and it will be deducted from future bills right?

Will there be some way for me to view the credit balance? Don't want the cash to just disappear into the ether!

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar problem but slightly different. 

I have just taken a contract out on a new iPhone 4. Previously I was on PAYG.  They moved over my credit from my PAYG account to pay monthly.

It occurred to me that as I am paying by Direct Debit will they still take the payment out even though I am in credit? Or will they use the credit up first? I had just over £30 credit and I am paying £17 a month. However, I rang a number by mistake that wasn't included in my allowance that incurred around £2.30p. That was deducted from the £30 as it was classed as an extra charge.

My concerns are that if they don't take my monthly payments out of the credit it is just going to be stuck there.

Many thanks to those in the know. slight_smile

Message 7 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They will use the credit on your account to offset payments so it will adjust each month till the credit is used up.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since posting the 'Live Chat' popped up on the o2 website so I took advantage of it to ask. Unfortunately what you have put (which I thought too initially) is not true. I was told that because it is a Direct Debit arrangement the monthly payments will still come out each month. They have suggested I ask my bank to request/take out the credited amount from o2 to my account. Seems a lot of hassle but I suppose I can understand it when you think that Direct Debit is a contract in itself of what payments have been arranged in advance and how often. Thanks for the reply anyway. At least we now know.

Message 9 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You have been given the wrong info by live chat. They are outsourced overseas and at times give incorrect answers. Your credit will definitely be used first as the direct debit will automatically adjust. The only time it won't adjust is if the credit goes on to your account less than 7 working days before payment is due,

Message 10 of 15