Did you mean: 

Price Increase 2023

Confused_Man
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I was searching the web to see what actual price increase O2 would charge this year - I only joined last November. I found this "The price increases at O2 do not affect existing customers, but new contracts and prepaid tariffs", taken from this story:

https://newsrnd.com/news/20**Personal info**-o2-mobile-phone-tariffs-are-becoming-more-expensive--th...

Is this correct, or are further price rises to be announced? 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Rosebud77
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah an absolute joke. I will not be renewing my contract with O2.

Message 11 of 33

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6659 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

Thing is I hear people on other networks saying the same. Ends up as a bit of a merry-go-round.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 12 of 33

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23149 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@Rbarkley82 

And to be fair its only more because VMo2 use the RPI and not the CPI, and then lump on 3.9% (why they all lump that on I have no idea). 

I believe it's commonly known as greed, @madasaf1sh 🤔

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 33

Rbarkley82
Level 4: Observant
  • 169 Posts
  • 26 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Agree they are all the same... however, VMo2 choose the higher of RPI and CPI plus bunged another 3.6% on top... the country is in a cost of living crisis and all these companies are putting their prices up... its a vicious cycle.

Message 14 of 33

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

I'm going to play devils advocate here, as someone who works in the Enterprise IT Space.. 

Electricity prices are up - which power the Data Centres, and street infrastructure that are required to run a mobile phone network

Equipment costs are up, and in some case by 30% across the IT World
Bandwidth costs are up, yes o2 use VMB for some backhaul, but they also have to pay peering networks

Licensing costs are up

Vendor Support costs are up

Staff costs are up, the cost to recruit, and retain staff are up

Not one single vendor I have spoken to recently has announced a price cut...

I think all networks could have reduced the price increase to around 9%, but things aren't always obvious to people, and maybe a bit of transparency from the network and what the benefits are of the cost increase would be better than just a text.... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 15 of 33

Rbarkley82
Level 4: Observant
  • 169 Posts
  • 26 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Agree with you on everything you say... what I struggle with is the amount of the increase. I know we agree in contract but no one expects their supplier to say 'oh we are increasing your prices by almost a 5th' and as you say transparency. In fact in the last year I've noticed the network stability drop, whether that's due to maintenance or not I don't know as they don't state. If speeds were fantastic, stability was brilliant and the rise was around 9% or 10% I would be OK... problem is, its like all networks think they can just hit consumers with a large increase and believe that they are OK with it.

Message 16 of 33

liphook
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just got my notification. Only joined in november feels like i was lied to by the store in guildford they never meant this price hike when i signed up but text says its in the terms. Whole point of moving to o2 from vodafone was not to pay more. Feel i got stiffed by the shop staff tbh. Not happy and will be contacting them as thats quite a hike after only a few months 

Message 17 of 33

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6659 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

Last year the cut off date with new contracts was 25th March. So if you signed up on the 24th of March you got hit with a rise 8 days in.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 18 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The only miserly bit of good news is that if you signed up before March 2021 you don't pay the +3.9%

Message 19 of 33

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@liphook 

Sorry to say this, but its YOUR responsibility to read the terms and conditions before signing anything, and its quite clear in the terms that there is a rise each year, and its your word against theirs and at the end of the day you signed to say you have read and understood the terms and conditions. 

So I am afraid its tough...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 20 of 33