Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting not worked

HPW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hello. I have just moved to O2 and my old (giffgaff) number was due to port today. My giffgaff SIM stopped working this morning (as expected) and then at midday today I lost service on my O2 esim.  I waited all afternoon hoping it would spring into life (and yes I restarted the phone, maybe 50 times!). At 6pm I called O2 support who said from their end the porting was all completed at midday today, and we spent the next 45mins trying different things before, frustratingly, they cut the call midway through the latest idea to try ! I called back, started from scratch with a new person and was on for another 30mins.  I realise porting can sometimes take longer than expected, but that does not seem to be the issue and neither person I spoke to knew how to resolve it. 

It has apparently now been escalated to "the tech department" and it can take 3-4 days to hear back from them which has me worried - I use this number for work and am now essentially stuck.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can an expert pick this up ?

Thanks !

Hugo

For completeness;

- I ordered a new pay monthly O2 physical SIM last week

- On Saturday I swapped to an eSIM (using a pack from my local O2 shop) which worked with no issues

- After this, also on Saturday I called O2 and requested my giffgaff number to be ported over. 

- I was told it would port across Tuesday (today) and as explained above the process clearly started as expected but has not completed. 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HPW
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks all and @O2Emma has been amazing and at least got my old number working tonight (on a physical sim and a way forward to try again with a new esim pack). So glad I found and used this O2 community!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@HPW 

There have been reports of eSims failing under these circumstances.

I'd get a new eSim pack and get O2 to activate that.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

@HPW 

Let me tag @O2Emma who might be able to help, but it may still need to go to the back office IT teams to fix still.

I have seen first hand some horror ports into o2 and into Vodafone and EE to fair, and they are usually fixed quicker than 3 to 4 days 

This port should be one of the easiest as its o2 to o2 basically, so it could be something  bit more technical that has happened for it to fail so badly. 

Although most ports complete during the business day some do take up to 24 hours to complete

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @madasaf1sh I will look into this thanks.

signature
Message 4 of 8

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @HPW I will send you a private message to have a look at the issue.

signature
Message 5 of 8

HPW
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks all and @O2Emma has been amazing and at least got my old number working tonight (on a physical sim and a way forward to try again with a new esim pack). So glad I found and used this O2 community!

Message 6 of 8

WingC3
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, @O2Emma ,

I've unfortunately suffered the same issue during a port from Three:

My temporary number worked for 3 days. Once the port happened, no service on either sim now.  The old temporary number still shows in the "my number" section of the iPhone 13 Pro's settings. No attempts to change it have been successful.  No amount of rebooting has worked.

It has been suggested to delete and re-add the eSIM, but I'd rather not burn one of the re-uses of the QR code if it isn't the confirmed fix.   It seems on here as if there might be another way? 

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Message 7 of 8

WingC3
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@O2Emma Please disgregard my above post, as I am unable to delete it.

FYI, deleting and re-adding the eSIM resolved the issue. Thanks!

Message 8 of 8