cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from O2 and back again, via another network?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to move a mobile number which technically belongs to my wife, to me.
My memory's a bit hazy as it was a year ago, but I'm sure I migrated the very same mobile number from an O2 contract in my name, to another O2 contract in my wife's name previously. It involved a prolonged phone call, in which we both confirmed details, etc, but it was done. However, I now want to do the same again and have been told I can't.
I've had to cancel my wife's contract and get a PAC. So my plan is to use that PAC to get the phone number away from O2 to a PAYG SIM on another network. Then, get a 2nd PAC and port the phone number back to an O2 account in my name. With me so far?
My question is, will this work? Are there any PAYG SIMs out there that are good for this? In some forums I've read Virgin or Orange might be better.
Ideally, the PAYG SIM shouldn't cost me anything to purchase, or add credit to, to allow the process.
I'm hoping by the time I have the 2nd PAC that the phone number won't be associated with my wife and I can use it on my new O2 contract.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
What a complicated life you lead! slight_smile
Let us know if your cunning plan works, I guess in theory it should. grin
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
It used to be the case that you couldn't port from o2 pay monthly to o2 pay monthly, however, you now can. The system was changed ages ago.
Just take out the new o2 contract and at the same time provide your PAC code to port in the number. Alternatively, call customer service to arrange the port once the new contract has been taken out.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
My life always seems to get complicated, where others have it easy. wink
I was online with O2 chat for nearly an hour this morning and it was them that said I couldn't do the port/migration. This is because the port/migration has to occur between accounts in the same name at the same address. What I want to do is transfer from my wife to me, so they won't do it.
I'm hoping the dog-leg to another network will sort it.
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
My life always seems to get complicated, where others have it easy. wink
I was online with O2 chat for nearly an hour this morning and it was them that said I couldn't do the port/migration. This is because the port/migration has to occur between accounts in the same name at the same address. What I want to do is transfer from my wife to me, so they won't do it.
I'm hoping the dog-leg to another network will sort it.

Lol ports definitely don't have to be between accounts in the same name and address. Heaven knows where the chat advisor got that idea. When you port in all you need to do is provide the PAC code. O2 has no interest in where or who it came from.
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't got my new phone yet (only ordered it Saturday night) but the account appears to be set up (I checked online): account number and phone number allocated & DHL consignment number provided.
So, it might be worth trying the PAC with my new account using O2's online 'keep my number' form? What's the worst that can happen, they reject it?
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't got my new phone yet (only ordered it Saturday night) but the account appears to be set up (I checked online): account number and phone number allocated & DHL consignment number provided.
So, it might be worth trying the PAC with my new account using O2's online 'keep my number' form? What's the worst that can happen, they reject it?

Yep, no harm in sending that form off at all slight_smile
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I filled in the online "keep your number" form shortly after starting this thread and have heard nothing from them in all this time. I emailed them last week to ask for an update and again have heard nothing. So, I got my wife to call them this morning and ask to migrate the number, something which O2's online chat CSR said couldn't be done. They did it. It'll happen within 24 hours and I'll, she'll, receive her last bill 14 days later.
Surprisingly, they didn't ask to speak to me during the conversation. She provided them with the 'temporary' number from my new account and that was it. Easy. Rather too easy. I'm hoping it actually gets done and doesn't come back to bite me/us.
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still not happened. 😐
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm really confused about this porting/migrating business.
In short, I've been on Simplicity (£10 ish a month) for a couple of years. Wanted to upgrade to a Galaxy S2 grin - thru' O2 upgrade path they want £42 month (1200mins/500mb - way too many mins for me). Managed to get it for £27 a month (300mins/500mb) thru' DialaPhone. O2 gave me a PAC code and said I could keep my number. Everything I've read since says this isn't possible and that I need to port to a PAYG on a different network and then back to the new O2 contract.
Then I read canwefixit's post that it is possible to port/migrate between O2 pay monthly contracts - which I really, really hope it is.
Do I just call O2 when my new phone arrives and ask them to port/migrate the number to my new phone/contract? Can I do it all online via my myO2 account.
Not doubting your expertise canwefixit - just looking for some clarification.
Thanks, Nick
Message 10 of 12