cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Signal thinking of leaving O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I live in Stratford and get poor signal at home to the point where I am thinking of getting a T-Mobile or Vodafone sim only deal until my contract expires. Is there a way I could terminate my contract early on the grounds of poor reception? Is there anything I can do to improve reception??
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have a 3G handset?

Is it poor 3G signal or poor 2G signal?

If you have a 3G handset for example it may be that you have poor 3G coverage and by locking the handset to 2G may help as you may be in a good 2G reception. or vice versa!
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried witha 2G phone, have the same problem. Last night I was cut off 8 times within 15 minutes. In the end I told my friend I would text him, think its unfair I have paid for these minutes but cant use them. Am thinking of writing to OFCOM
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 cannot always gaurantee coverage all over the UK. You would have had 14 days from moment you took your contract to decide if you were happy with the coverage. if you are past that time then you are stuck in the contract. O2 cannot gaurantee coverage all over the UK it is listed in its terms and conditions.
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am thinking of writing to OFCOM

Much as I sympathise, I think you'd be wasting your time.

As the previous poster noted, you had 14 days in which to cancel your contract, if reception was so poor.

Unless there's an actual outage in your area it's your responsibility to ensure that you can access the network and use the services you're paying for, not o2's.

We've had people posting here before who've moved house and can't get a reception and are therefore wasting their contract. As I say, it's very unfortunate, but not o2's problem, so they're unlikely to do anything.

SV
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been with o2 for nearly 10 years, when it was called BT Cellnet. Have been on various price plans. Never had this problem before, only started getting bad since a few months. Are some phone better for poor signal areas? Is their anything I can buy like one of those aerials you see in cars to get better reception?
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find it's just trial and error unfotunately, with phones and reception.

I had my 2G o2 SIM for 4½ years, in which time I had 20 handsets (yes I know :))

Some Sony Ericssons (w760i, w880i) gave me full bars anywhere in the house. The w380i barely got a signal in the living room.

I had problems getting full bars on all the newer Samsungs I had in that time (D900i, Tocco) but the older ones were great (e760, e720).

My current phone gives me half strength GPRS in the house, but 2 bars HSDPA outside.

My wife is on Vodafone and gets full strength signal on all phones she's had.

So it's partly o2 and partly the phone.

the only way to try out a phone in your house is to get your mates round and try your SIM in their phones, then at least you'll know which phone gives the best signal, before you go hunting for another handset slight_smile

SV
Message 7 of 13

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
I know you say you live in stratford, but you also did mention that you used to get a signal until a few months ago,

Have you contact o2 customer care and logged a fault call? There may be doing something in your local area regarding your mobile mast, or it may not be working corectly.

You can also pm me your post code and i will try to advise you where your local o2 mast are and if they are near by.
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
6 months later andhe signal hasnt improved even after getting a new sim. I have been using a T Mobile PAYG Sim and getting excellent reception. I am thinking of leaving, but dont want to as have been with o2 for 9 years and love the service. Someone told me to phone and ask o2 for a signal enhancer, does o2 do signal enhancers/boosters?
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Not afaik.
I know Vodafone are doing something, but it costs ++£ to get one of their "femtocells" and that's for Vodafone. Maybe O2 will bring out something similar one day, but there's no indication of that happening any time soon.

TBH, if you get excellent signal with T-Mobile and not so good with O2, ditch O2 at the end of your contract and go with T-Mobile. Company loyalty is all well and good but unless you're getting a decent discount then there's little holding you back. One plus point for T-Mobile is their data package FUP is 1GB compared to O2's much lower level.
Message 10 of 13