Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor 5g speeds

Mike376
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I work from home using Revit and BIM360, there are no good internet providers in my area that I have just moved to, I have 5g Samsung and to my surprise in September 2021 I have 5g signal and Internet speeds astounded me over 350mbs dn and 40mbs upload. I purchased 5g router, pricey and took a 5g unlimited data package from O2, everything was great. Now for the last month its utter crap, I'm getting 9.5mbs dn and 2mbs up. What is going on, I spend a lot of money on O2 for what.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35919 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

Need to use Network Status Tool as explained in here to find out if your area has 5G and it's not quite complete yet, @Mike376 Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Message 2 of 6

Mike376
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Everything was great, status tool said no 5g in my area but there was, I get 5g symbol on my phone and router,  just speed has gone. Why?

Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions

@Mike376 

There can be many reasons for data speed reductions, one of the main ones is contention on the networks and the available backhaul, and whether your local mast has a MicroWave Backhaul to another mast for 5G or is dark fibre. 

It could also be traffic management if you are using over 650Gb a month,. how big are the files you are using in BIM and Revit or are you using the Cloud Versions. 

Unfortunately you don't pay for data speeds, just bandwidth 

it might be worth logging with o2, via the My Network App, as the service status can take a little while to catch up. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

Mike376
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

All sorted out now, cancelled the useless O2 data package, joined Vodafone with the same unlimited data which is cheaper and now my Internet is back to normal, can get my work done. All I need to do now is cancel all my mobile packages with O2

Message 5 of 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35919 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

Sometimes, ya gots ta do what ya gots ta do, @Mike376 - some parts of the country only have decent performance from O2, Vodafone just can't cut it where I am. So it goes. Good luck with your new provider 👍

Message 6 of 6