Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone contract

Jude
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I set up a phone contact for my daughter nearly 2 yrs ago. Ive added extra data on by phoning them with no problem. ( they ask if im the account holder) My daughters sim card stopped working so we went to a o2 store to get it replaced. The lady couldnt replace it as she counldnt bring the account up. This was due to the phone account is not in my name. But i was the one who set it up and the D.D. comes out of my bank account every mth. The lady tried every which way to try to help us. She even said the account was not password protected. She got me to phone customer services whilst i was in the shop and the guy on the phone said it was password protected. So he couldnt help as i gave the password for my 1st pet and it was wrong. Hmmm. I think i know my own pets name!!! ( the shop assistant showed me on her monitor it wasnt password protected)
Later that day i phoned customer services again. The lady very helpful. She did manage to set up a new sim card but did state that my daughters phone account is not in mine or my husbands name. It cant be in my daughters name as she is under 18.
My question is how can i get them to change the name to mine when i dont know what name is on the account??
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23204 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3690 Solutions

@Jude That's certainly one I've never heard before. How did you add data previously without knowing the account holder's name? I will tag our community manager to see if he can help when he comes on tomorrow. @Martin-O2 any thoughts?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123361 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@Jude 

I don't understand this at all. You state in your first sentence 'that you set up a phone contract for your daughter 2 years ago'. Surely you would have set it up in your name?

Unless you actually set it up in your daughters name and then gave them the remaining details as if it was you? (ie YOUR date of birth, YOUR address (which I presume was your daughters at the time) and YOUR bank. 

Having said the above, they would have done credit checks which would have failed as your daughter was under 18.

Is there any chance you could have used your maiden name?

I doubt anyone can help you with this as we have no idea what name you would have used for this contract.

You can only persevere with customer services I'm afraid. Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

Jude
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I set it up in my name. This is why i cannot understand why the have another name on the account. I was wondering, has the sales assistant made an error and put their own name in by mistake. I did check if they had it as my daughters name to no avail. But how could they have my daughters name when she is under 18 anyway?
The 2 yrs is up in a couple of mths. So i was wondering also how i would go about cancelling it?. I know u have to give 30 days notice. But how can i cancel it if i dont know the name on the phone account?
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@Jude 

You just cancel by text now Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Jude
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you. I phoned them from my phone but did my daughters phone no. They asked if i was the account holder...which i am and the processed it through with the payment. All i want is for this glitch to be sorted.
I cannot understand how in the store they said it wasn't password protected but customer services, with the 1st call said it was. Then customer services with the second call said it wasnt. Something really odd has gone on with my daughters phone account. Im not happy at all.
Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You can cancel easy enough by getting your PAC and giving it to another provider. That way a final bill will be produced and just taken by direct debit. The 30 day notice is not necessary now @Jude 

Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

Message 7 of 12

Jude
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for that info. When my daughter gets her new sim. I think the best option will be to cancel it via her phone and set up a new contract....maybe with a diiferent provider. Lets wait and see. Many thanks
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123361 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

Yes best of luck @Jude wink

Just for info, I took out a contract for my grandson via Carphone Warehouse (on O2)

The contract is in my name and I pay for it via my bank. However, they allowed my grandson to have control of MY O2 so he could check and manage his allowances himself.. To do this, we had to be together when we phoned O2.

It has worked well for the past 20 months. slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12