Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid wrong amount to phone bill

Nic
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi there, in the last hour I went to pay my phone bill but I paid the wrong amount, I accidentally paid more than I should have and it’s now left me with no money. I can’t contsct o2 or my bank as their services are closed. On my bank account it still says pending, am I able to contact them in the morning and get them to cancel? If not... What’s the best solution for this?

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nic
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I contacted my bank, they gave me the authorisation code to give to o2 to cancel the payment and return it to my account, I then contacted o2 to give this code but they don’t have the system to do this and advised I contact my bank again, so I done this and they said that’s strange because every company has this option when receiving a payment and with them being a massive company you would think so... at the end the only solution I had was to wait on the payment fully leaving my bank account, phone up the bank and then authorise a charge back so it won’t be until next Wednesday I’ll receive my money back.

Anyways thank yous all for the help and advise, I really appreciate it

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
You could leave it as is and try go without till next pay but then when you go pay next it be cheaper next month
Message 2 of 9

Nic
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Unfortunately I’m not able to do that, I need the money that I overpaid for other bills 😔
Message 3 of 9

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Nic

Unfortunately, I do not think it will be possible to stop the payment you've made to O2, in spite of it being shown as pending in your bank account. I expect it is only shown as pending as the Bank is presently closed. The status should change immediately your bank is open. Having said that, it cannot hurt to speak to your bank as soon as they open to see if the payment can be stopped. Nothing ventured nothing gained and you just might be lucky.

This could have been avoided had you set up a Direct Debit. The correct amount would have been debited from your account and you wouldn't have to worry about remembering when to pay. 

You could speak to Customer Services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus but, again, I don't think there is much they will be able to do once the payment has gone through.

I would suggest you set up a Direct Debit to pay O2 in future to avoid this ever happening again.

Good luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 are ruthless when collecting payment so I doubt they’ll cancel it. Your much better off having a direct debit which is what you should already have. 

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Nic

I doubt O2 will refund the money even though it was a mistake on your part.

Remember some people choose to pay extra in order to settle their account more quickly.

As said above, you really should set up a direct debit, which is part of the terms and conditions of having a contract. This wouldn't happen then.

You have the addded protection of the bank. IF they made a mistake, THEY would have to recover monies back to your account.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Nic
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I contacted my bank, they gave me the authorisation code to give to o2 to cancel the payment and return it to my account, I then contacted o2 to give this code but they don’t have the system to do this and advised I contact my bank again, so I done this and they said that’s strange because every company has this option when receiving a payment and with them being a massive company you would think so... at the end the only solution I had was to wait on the payment fully leaving my bank account, phone up the bank and then authorise a charge back so it won’t be until next Wednesday I’ll receive my money back.

Anyways thank yous all for the help and advise, I really appreciate it
Message 7 of 9

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Your very welcome @Nic and thank you for letting us know how you got on. Pleased you will eventually get your money back.

Please be sure to let Customer Services know what will be happening, so they can put a note on your account; if you've not already done so.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Nic Even if you do get this sorted you should take @Glory1's advice and set up a Direct Debit to stop this happening again.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 9