cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of country text messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I have a quick question, i had a search and couldn't find anything that answered my question,

I have been texting a friend who has moved to Canada for an extended period and have been charged 10p a text, I read somewhere on the O2 site that sending text messages to somewhere abroad would use my allowance of messages (on a 4 used to one sent ratio).

Is this the case or do i have to register for it, specific tariff, etc?

Thanks for any help!,
Andrew.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 86488 Posts
  • 594 Topics
  • 4956 Solutions
If your friend has a UK mobile then a text sent from you would count as 1 text from your allowance. Assuming he is using another network then your text is chargeable as you have found. The 4 text you are referring to is taken from your allowance when you are roaming and texting another UK mobile or when sending mms.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahhh, So i misread it,
Also he bought a new phone/tariff over there, non UK Customer hence the charge,

Sorry about this, but here's another question,
Would phoning my friend use my minutes or incur a minimal charge as before ? (I'm guessing the latter) as i can only see things referencing roughly £2 a minute and 25p a text (leading me to believe that i'm looking at the wrong information due to the scenario above)

Thanks for clarifying that for me and for the quick reply!

Kind Regards
Andrew.
Message 3 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 86488 Posts
  • 594 Topics
  • 4956 Solutions
Calling USA/Canada is charged at 97p/min on pay monthly but if you take out the International caller bolt-on for £2.99/month it reduces to 17p/min.
Have a look here; http://www.o2international.co.uk/callin ... Index.aspx

and here : http://www.o2international.co.uk/callin ... ayITS.aspx

Might be worth it depending on how many times you would like to phone your friend

Hope this helps, Andrew
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant, Thanks for all you help!
Really grateful,

Kind Regards
Andrew
Message 5 of 5