cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Off Peak 500

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I have been on this tariff for literally years and usually get a free handset upgrade every year (limited to certain makes/models). I went in to my local o2 shop today who said that I could no longer get an upgrade and that I would have to change to an 18 or 24 month contract.

Is this true?

I pay ~£20 per month for 500 free texts and 500 minutes and I can see I can get similar packages with other networks.

What advice does anyone have?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is the issue that you don't want to change to an 18month contract?
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes.
Message 3 of 8

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions
You could try ringing retentions but frankly I can't see them doing much to try and retain you for reasons already mentioned. Unfortunately 18/24 month contracts are the norm these days with most networks pushing the 24 month contracts.

If you are happy with the handset you have now you could drop to the 1 month simplicity tariffs. £20 will get you 100 more minutes than you currently have usable at any time of the day to any network, unlimited texts and either unlimited o2 calls or unlimited landline calls which beats your current deal. If you drop to simplicity you can upgrade onto a 18-24 month contract at your leisure if and when a handset comes out that takes your fancy
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You will also be able to get a £100 credit instead of a handset on your existing tariff if you prefer that.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would suggest trying to upgrade online and selecting 'existing tariff' and see what comes up, that normally works.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would suggest trying to upgrade online and selecting 'existing tariff' and see what comes up, that normally works.

You are right! I can upgrade online, keep my existing tariff and get a free handset. The choices are:

Sony Ericsson C903 Black
Nokia 6303
LG POP
Samsung Pixon
Samsung Solid Extreme

Samsung Genio Touch (not sure if the free Xbox 360 is included!)

Any recommendations?

Thanks for all the replies and useful advice guys! wink
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the advice guys! I went with the Samsung Pixon in the end and am very pleased! It also came with £25 vouchers for HMV so can't complain.

Once again, big thanks to all who replied tongue
Message 8 of 8