cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional usage tethering NOT on iPhone

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all
I'm looking into the possibility of using o2 Web Daily via tethering to my netbook for very occasional use. It would be no more than 3 or 4 days a month and my usage would only be around the 50mb mark per day. Is this frowned upon? Going through the terms and conditions I found this....
All data usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. Regardless of the amount of data you use, you must not use your sim:
in, or connected to, any device other than the one which it was supplied with or intended by us for use with (for example a mobile phone sim only tariff sim is intended for use in a mobile phone not a modem. This includes putting your sim into a modem, modem usage or internet tethering on your device unless stated); or
in such a way that we reasonably believe adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

The bit I'm unsure about is the reference to sim only. Does this allow a genuine contract tariff and phone to be used?
I hope I've explained that well enough....
Thanks Tom
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
So long the usage is not excessive there's no reason for o2 to notice.
Message 2 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Beaufighter
Thanks for the quick reply....
That sounds just the job then slight_smile Would it make any difference if I squeezed a 500mb bolt on out of them when I'm due for an upgrade? The plan I'm looking at is only the basic £10.21 std over 24 months and a data bolt on isn't listed for that tariff, would they be able to add one as a loyalty bonus? I'm on a £25 tariff at the moment but don't need the amount of call mins included, the 50 mins and unlimited txt of the £10.21 tariff will suit me fine.....
Thanks Tom
Message 3 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
The tariff you describe isn't allowed any data bolt on at all I'm afraid, web daily remains the only option.
A tariff refresh is due soon as it's a year since the last one. But it won't necessarily be better than it is now. After the price hike on Broadband and Home Phone I'd be very surprised if we don't see something similar on the phone tariffs
Message 4 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
So even if I spoke to a retentions person they couldn't add one?
Thanks Tom
Message 5 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's right, the data bolt on is £10 on 100 min tariffs, £5 on 300 and above and not available on tariffs below 100 mins, retentions have no freedom to offer anything that isn't generally available. Recession, or excuse? I don't know.
Message 6 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok no problem.
I've read reports that they've scrapped any form of loyalty discount. I got a £15 discount for 18 months last time but when I tried to get one for the wife last year they turned us down so she left for a better deal on orange. I'm hoping to get some form of discount even though I'll be downgrading from a £25 to £10 tariff. What do you think my chances are? If not I'll probably end up cancelling but rejoining on a new contract and getting some cash back through one of the many sites that are out there.....
Thanks Tom
Message 7 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are looking to save money rather than ge a phone maybe go on the simplicity 30 day tariff? £10, 100 mins, unltd SMS? This works out the same as a £15 discount and carries no commitment beyond 30 days.
Message 8 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately I need to get a new phone to do the tethering that I mentioned. I've no problem staying with o2 and taking out another 24 month contract. I was just wondering what my chances were of getting some sort of discount? I wouldn't expect anything like the level I got 2 years ago but something as a " thank you " would be nice slight_smile
Thanks Tom
Message 9 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the only way to be sure on that is to ask. But to be honest everyone I know that had either £15 off or £10 off has been offered nothing at all. A couple have stayed with o2 as other networks were no better for them, another has gone, but even at the point of cancellation nothing was offered to change their mind.
Message 10 of 31